Gear changes - is it me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScottyB

Just got back from a Xmas ride this afternoon and seem to have a bit of a problem changing gear when going up big-ish hills so have started to wonder if it is something I am doing wrong - please excuse me if any of my terminology is wrong and thanks in advance...

I have a Specialized Allez with a compact front chain-set. I generally ride in the larger portion (higher gear?) which gives me plenty of options but for larger hills I will shift (down?) into the lower ring. Sometimes when going up bigger hills I just cannot get this to shift, yet when I get to the top it will drop in perfectly - quite annoying I am sure you will agree! It seems to change without issue on the flat and I have run it on a stand and it will go in and out without issue.

Should I be changing gear in advance of hills like this, or pedaling differently?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Merry Christmas to all.

raindog

er.....
You need to anticipate your changes. Be in the right gear a bit before you need it.
Don't worry, you'll get used to it.
Happy Christmas. :smile:

speccy1

Just got back from a Xmas ride this afternoon and seem to have a bit of a problem changing gear when going up big-ish hills so have started to wonder if it is something I am doing wrong - please excuse me if any of my terminology is wrong and thanks in advance...

I have a Specialized Allez with a compact front chain-set. I generally ride in the larger portion (higher gear?) which gives me plenty of options but for larger hills I will shift (down?) into the lower ring. Sometimes when going up bigger hills I just cannot get this to shift, yet when I get to the top it will drop in perfectly - quite annoying I am sure you will agree! It seems to change without issue on the flat and I have run it on a stand and it will go in and out without issue.

Should I be changing gear in advance of hills like this, or pedaling differently?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Merry Christmas to all.
You need to change down a bit earlier that`s all, the thing to remember is to try not to change gear when chain is under a high load (ie going up a steep hill), try changing down to the smaller chainring before the hill starts to get hard work, you`ll find it`ll go every time:thumbsup:

All the best for Christmas and stay safe

defy-one

Are you still pushing on the pedals when you try and change from the big ring to little? That would explain why it changes ok on flats and at home.
A better way would be to change down before you need to,and change down on the rear cassette as the hill gets steeper longer etc

simmi

Über Member
Are you still pushing on the pedals when you try and change from the big ring to little? That would explain why it changes ok on flats and at home.
A better way would be to change down before you need to,and change down on the rear cassette as the hill gets steeper longer etc

+1

Only a newbie myself but from a engineering back ground, I have to say this is spot on.

With a compact crank you are changing from about 50 to 34 teeth a huge change, where as changes on the cassette will only be 1 or 2 teeth.

When you are going up hill you are putting high loads on chain and cogs so this is when big changes should be avoided. Not only for smooth changing but also because of the damage and wear on your parts.

Peteaud

Veteran

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As already said - get down on the smaller ring earlier. A 16 tooth drop at the front is a big drop and you have a fair bit of shifting at the back to do at the same time if momentum is not to be lost.

One reason I like my 46/36 front is that the drop at the front is not so big.

speccy1

Be carefull changing gear under load, i snapped a chain once doing this.
And I did, and it left me nearly never able to father children!!

defy-one

Rob makes an excellent point .... it took me a while to up my cadence and choose a lower gear,but it helps to keep a steady pace,less tiring and easier on your knees

Top Bottom