Gear Problems (Derailleur?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As long as the derailleur is remounted correctly there shouldn't be any problem with chain clearance. Just remember that the mounting bolt should go through the drop out slot into the clamp plate. If the clamp plate is missing (which I suspect is likely given that way it's been fitted) perhaps consider updating your rear derailleur to one of these: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_503761_langId_-1_categoryId_165694

Doesn't have to be from Halfords - just an example.

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

We do not have a 'clamp plate' - what you can see is in the pictures is all we have to work from.

Is there a replacement clamp plate I can buy to fit a Raleigh mountain bike or should I just replace the derailleur?

If I can get a clamp plate, where should this be attached and how? I am guessing it will be obvious on how to attach the rear derailleur once a clamp plate is on there?

Sorry for all of the silly questions but your help is much appreciated.

simon.r

Person
We do not have a 'clamp plate' - what you can see is in the pictures is all we have to work from.

Is there a replacement clamp plate I can buy to fit a Raleigh mountain bike or should I just replace the derailleur?

If I can get a clamp plate, where should this be attached and how? I am guessing it will be obvious on how to attach the rear derailleur once a clamp plate is on there?

Sorry for all of the silly questions but your help is much appreciated.

Where are you? There may be a local technically competent member who would be willing to call round and give you a hand - it would be much easier (and probably quicker!) to do the job than try and explain how to do it!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I was afraid the little plate might be missing. As far as I'm aware (and I'm very happy to be corrected on this) that part is not available seperately and only comes with a new derailleur. These aren't hugely expensive - as well as the one I already linked to, this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sunrace-m2t-6-7-speed-rear-derailleur-with-hanger-long-cage-prod23545/ would also be compatible.

As Simon.r says it's easier to actually fit than to describe but basically the mount goes onto the dropout slot (where the wheel slots into).

The bolt on this type of derailleur mount doesn't screw directly into the frame of the bike but goes through the dropout slot and on the other side bolts into a shaped nut (which I called the clamp plate earlier) which clamps the derailleur to the dropout.

A new derailleur will come with instructions which will explain it much better than I can.

I hope this helps a bit.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

Ah right, the derailleur was actually not attached at all to the frame and was wedged and held by the tyre where it was in the hanger. This is why the tyre would not move down and once the derailleur was detached then the tyre went all the way down.

I then found a bolt and bolted the derailleur to the frame through one of two holes near the mech hanger. I am guessing where I went wrong is that there should be a 'clamp plate' (is this a plate that attaches to these holes or around the tyre nut and the derailleur then screws to this?)

It is looking likely that I will buy another Shimano as linked above and attempt to fit it myself - it is best to learn for future problems.

Thanks!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What I called the clamp plate (wrong description really) is actually a small special nut shaped to clamp the derailleur mount to the dropout slot where the wheel fits. The derailleur doesn't attach to the holes in the frame (these are mounts for mudguards and a rack).

Here is a close up of my bike which shows how it should look when correctly fitted:
011.JPG

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

So the only thing I am missing is a special shaped nut? Still unsure as to where the screw should be going through to be clamped on but I will have a play around with it tomorrow and let you know how I get on, cheers!\

Top Bottom