Gear ratios for adventure bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnwrench1

It seems that bikes that are marketed as 'adventure bikes' don't have the gear ratios that can do all 3 activities -road, off road and touring. I have asked all suppliers if they can modify the gearing tp something like an 11/42 cassette with a compact chainset 50/34. No luck. It seems that bike builders just haven't got to grip with this problem. The key issue is the lowest gear - which for me should be 0.8 or less.
Anybody run up against this problem and solved it?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I found the bottom gear on my CAADX way too high so I made significant changes. I didn't end up with a gear as low as 34/42 (though that would be nice on some of the really steep stuff!) but the new low of 34/36 is pretty good and has enabled me to ride up every steep hill that I have attempted so far.

I think it's why a lot of people buy the frame and build their own. Some gravel bikes fit your brief and some can be made too. But a one bike to rule them all is going to be a tall order most times.

Venod

Eh up
I have 46/36 and 11-32 on 2 CX and 1 road bike, they have done all I have asked of them, 36/24 and 11-42 on the MTB if I need anything lower I'll probably flip over backwards attempting to get up the hill.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
My bike sees it's fair share of "adventure" and it has a Rohloff hub. It does a lot of "unadventurous" riding as well. No problems for either. I guess you are referring to riding up steep slopes? It is not a "problem" but merely that big bike brands who make millions of bikes aren't providing you with a one off bike spec that meets your own specific requirements. I would suggest you build yourself a bike to your own spec.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
To be fair, the 11-42 cassettes are aimed at single chainring bikes.
Expecting a rear mech to wrap 47T worth of chain is a bit of a tall order, which is what it would need to do with a 50/34 chainset.
However, a 34T chainset with that 11-42 cassette gives you the low gear you're after, with a top gear that should see you up to 30mph.
Personally, I ride a 7 speed 12-32 cassette with a 36 chainset, but the next cassette will probably be a 12-36 nine speed.

D

Deleted member 1258

It seems that bikes that are marketed as 'adventure bikes' don't have the gear ratios that can do all 3 activities -road, off road and touring. I have asked all suppliers if they can modify the gearing tp something like an 11/42 cassette with a compact chainset 50/34. No luck. It seems that bike builders just haven't got to grip with this problem. The key issue is the lowest gear - which for me should be 0.8 or less.

Yes, just buy the bike and change the cassette/chain rings to get the gears you want.

lane

Veteran
I just asked Spa to put a triple on my Elan so 30,39,50 on the front and 11-34 on the back.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Your opening sentence is wrong. They have the gears to suit the majority of people for the majority of the time, and what will work reliably. Not everyone will your fully laden and want a vv low bottom gear. And as pointed out that brings RD capacity issues.
Nothing wrong with swapping cassette for your specific use.

Top Bottom