Gearbox rebuild.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I think the key is plenty of pictures (took a lot longer but less chance of going wrong!).

I bought some small ziplock bags, numbered each piston housing on the valve body and each bag as I went along.

Knew there was no margin for error so took my time and tried not to rush any part of it.

Way I see it the car was already broken and my time is "free" so it was worth a try!.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Way I see it the car was already broken and my time is "free" so it was worth a try!.
The trouble with jobs like this is although your time is free, with modern cars you can end up spending a couple of hundred quid just on seals, filters and the magic manufacturers application specific snake oil! If it doesn't work you have then lost days of your time (which is too valuable to waste, even if it is free), a chunk of money and possibly made things worse :sad:
That doesn't mean we shouldn't try occasionally. It is very satisfying to beat 'the system' every now and again :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Could have been as simple as sticky pistons etc then ?
Hydraulic tappets on an old Opel I once had were noisy, stripped them all down, they're really simple, like a piston placed inside another. Cleaned them up in petrol, cleaned some tarnishing off them with wire wool, put them back together....bingo.
Trouble is nowadays, things are a bit more complicated and harder to access.

Drago

Legendary Member
You should try owning a Smart - the entire drivetrain can be removed in 20 minutes, yet to change a headlight bulb takes 2 hours because the front of the car has to come off. I'd love to know what they were smoking when they designed it.

Anyway KM, keep up the good work. People moan li,e the proverbial about garage costs yet aren't able to do the repair themselves- nice to see someone else who puts their spanners where there mouth is.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
The trouble with jobs like this is although your time is free, with modern cars you can end up spending a couple of hundred quid just on seals, filters and the magic manufacturers application specific snake oil! If it doesn't work you have then lost days of your time (which is too valuable to waste, even if it is free), a chunk of money and possibly made things worse :sad:
That doesn't mean we shouldn't try occasionally. It is very satisfying to beat 'the system' every now and again :okay:

I can see your point and I'd not had attempted it unless I was confident it couldn't be any worse than when I started!.

Paid £15,000 for the car 3 years ago and couldn't raise the £3000 unless I'd used a credit card with daft apr (20%), been down that road in the past and don't want to repeat it.

I had fresh oil and filter as I bought a bulk load a while back (do my own servicing etc).

So it's cost me approx £15 to repair.

I'm not tight by any means but 3k was a step too far without trying myself first!.

I see motorcycles where people or their "mates" have fixed them and it's cost more to repair due to damage etc. Try not to do the same myself if possibe.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Could have been as simple as sticky pistons etc then ?
Hydraulic tappets on an old Opel I once had were noisy, stripped them all down, they're really simple, like a piston placed inside another. Cleaned them up in petrol, cleaned some tarnishing off them with wire wool, put them back together....bingo.
Trouble is nowadays, things are a bit more complicated and harder to access.

The piston to bore clearance is that low it could possibly have been a sticky control piston, or a sticky solenoid.

Drago

Legendary Member
I gave up with Land Rovers. I don't have time to list all the reasons, but there were many.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I thought I was handy when I replaced the radiator on my Skoda two weekends ago. Me feeling somewhat humbled after seeing this.

Top Bottom