Gearbox rebuild.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Between a rock and a hard place really, the plan was to own it at least 6 years, only had it 3 so far if that..

In hindsight I should have PCP'd a brand new one, but probably would never own it.

screenman

Legendary Member
I did a auto gearbox course at the Ford training centre in 1976, I would certainly not be brave enough to tackle something like that now, amazing skills, well done.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Just want to second well done! I replaced the valve body on my car for about 100 quid and 30 mins of work (had to remove the battery and undo some bolts and that was it) -I was so fortunate it was so easily accessible!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I can’t even thread a chain through a derailleur without feckin it up, so I’m full of admiration for anyone who can do things like that in the OP.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Just want to second well done! I replaced the valve body on my car for about 100 quid and 30 mins of work (had to remove the battery and undo some bolts and that was it) -I was so fortunate it was so easily accessible!

For the sake of 6cm I had to pull the front of the car to bits unfortunately, bumper/ lights/ crashbar and subframe etc..

20190217_075850.jpg

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Well, there may be a twist to the tail...

Volvo call my gearbox an MPS6, exactly the same unit (identical) to my Kuga Powershift 6DCT450, same gearbox made by Getrag.

Ford and Volvo buy filters from IBS Filtran and put them in branded boxes.

I bough some "Volvo" filters, they appeared genuine in proper boxes etc, looked the same.

I've just bought 5 Ford filters (£22 each, local dealer wants £40 each!) and compaired one to my last "Volvo" filter.

The filter housing on Ford is Matt and much stiffer.

The filter cartridge ends are on Ford are shiny (matt on "Volvo").

Ford have a feint red line in the middle the filter cartridge medium.

The bypass valve on Ford is 1/3 rd as stiff as "Volvo" xxxxxx. Ford will bypass oil much easier in case of filter failure or blockage.

After taking a new "Volvo" filter to bits, the filter medium is supported by nylon mesh, Ford use stainless steel mesh to stop the filter collapsing.

20190221_174819.jpg
20190221_174815.jpg
20190221_174919.jpg
20190221_174942.jpg
20190221_175020.jpg
20190221_194511.jpg
20190221_175039.jpg

So I've come to the conclusion I've been sold knock off Volvo filters!.

This wouldn't cause the entire problem but deffinitely some of them..

Attachments

• 20190221_175035.jpg
    20190221_175035.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Took family and doggo out to Scarborough today (sunshine, beach and fish and chips!).

200 fault free miles on the Kuga now so I can cross it off the to-do list!.

Can't believe how warm it was at the coast.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Well she managed 450 miles, wife text me last Monday morning to say it had started playing up again!..

Narrowed the fault down to Clutch Shift Modulation Solenoid 1, but these aren't available as a spare part..

Found a new unit for £1060 so bit the bullet and bought it. Unfortunately these come "blank" so I had to fit my orignal Gearbox Controller to the new solenoid/ valve body pack.

Took Wednesday and Friday afternoons off work and had it stripped and back together in 8 hrs this time.

Time will tell, 40 miles on it now!.

20190321_204551.jpg
20190321_203313.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Hmmm, might be trade in time,well it would for me..

I think this is why I like Kia.. though I do buy next to new or new and sell after 2_4 yrs

Top Bottom