Gearbox rebuild.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No but finding a clean northerner would be like wanting unicorns to do it.

Although easier than finding an honest cockney.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Well it's still going well after the new controller but I did notice small particles if white plastic debris in the gearbox.

More research later and it seems they decided to use plastic spring guides on the clutch damper springs (in 20 years I've never seen plastic anywhere near a basket damper...).

So do I chuck another grand at it and 2 days of my time or get shut, chop it in and loose £9k?.

Thinking for my sanity it has to go..

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Oooh I really sympathize, that's a tough one.... Just IMHO, plastic should have no place in gear box or engines (I know, I know, someone with greater chemical materials product is probably going to come along and say how resilient plastic is, but I'm a bit old school, and yes, I know some metal alloys can be just as bad). Can't you just keep driving it to see if it holds up? Or are the plastic bits really indicative of upcoming failure?

So can you get replacement better spring guides? Interestingly with the valve body I replaced, there were two types -one type with sleeve guides (OEM) that wore out, and one that were Sonnax built with better guides. At least you know how to do this now :smile: Good luck with it mate, and I feel for you.

Well it's still going well after the new controller but I did notice small particles if white plastic debris in the gearbox.

More research later and it seems they decided to use plastic spring guides on the clutch damper springs (in 20 years I've never seen plastic anywhere near a basket damper...).

So do I chuck another grand at it and 2 days of my time or get shut, chop it in and loose £9k?.

Thinking for my sanity it has to go..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Oooh I really sympathize, that's a tough one.... Just IMHO, plastic should have no place in gear box or engines (I know, I know, someone with greater chemical materials product is probably going to come along and say how resilient plastic is, but I'm a bit old school, and yes, I know some metal alloys can be just as bad). Can't you just keep driving it to see if it holds up? Or are the plastic bits really indicative of upcoming failure?

So can you get replacement better spring guides? Interestingly with the valve body I replaced, there were two types -one type with sleeve guides (OEM) that wore out, and one that were Sonnax built with better guides. At least you know how to do this now :smile: Good luck with it mate, and I feel for you.

You are correct!, plastic should have no place in a gearbox flywheel/ clutch damper.

It will always degrade and break up, no question about it and no arguments from me!.

We are going to look at a Ssangyong Kororando over the weekend. Proper Japanese Aisin gearbox (after working on motorcycles for 20 years the Japanese are the best imho).

4 things against our Ford Getrag.

1, Dry solder joints on PCB
2, Clutch control solenoid failure
3, Plastic Clutch Spring damper disintegration.
4, Clutch pack wear at early mileage.

Had two out of three so I'm out. Getrag have produced some excellent gearboxes over the years but the 6DCT450 is a disaster!.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I really couldn't agree more. I have absolutely no idea why someone would think this is a good idea. Well, I suppose it is if you want the owner to be fleeced at a dealer when it expires just after the warranty...... Crazy idea, just crazy [shakes head].

Or on a timing belt tensioner either. Peanuts saved by the manufacturer at the expense of low mileage belt changes and possible terminal damage to the owner.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
This is what I have to deal with now, don't think I can engineer a way out of it though?.

In talks with Ford UK, don't expect any good resolution..

13042017_01.jpg

This is why I think I have to sort it out one way or another. Wife bought our caravan, I bought the towcar and now this year we won't be going anywhere..

20160917_190151.jpg

Happier times..

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Good luck talking to Ford

mustang1

Guru
That is impressive stuff.

It reminds me of two things:
1. I wish I was that good at engineering stuff though I did once remove a bottom bracket. :smile:
2. Years back, I was on the train and was listening in on a woman's conversation on her phone. She was talking to her friend or something and taking about her car that needs a repair. The she mentioned she will talk to her Grease Monkey.

This annoyed me somewhat because it requires quite some skill to be a mechanic. I don't want to judge people but she seemed to be a right monkey brain herself, in fact I'd say a monkey is more useful than her.

Later I learned about a new term: coding monkey, again, something that requires skill has been denegraded to monkey status.

Anyway, respect to you for the dismantling.

Oh, actually, I did fox my iPhone once. Had to dismantle it and all my buddies were around giving advice how to take it apart. But when I had to out it back together, my "helpers" had disappeared!

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Well, it played up slightly on Saturday while I was at work.

Did a TCU reset, Clutch and Shiftpoint learn plus a new filter (300 miles on old one..).

I've bit the bullet and ordered a Stainless Mesh filter (£240 for a fxcking oil filter..), coming from Australia of all places.

The last picture is the plastic guides they expect you to fit back in, bloody joke!.

product_963_full.jpg
20190506_113842.jpg
s-l400-5.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well, it played up slightly on Saturday while I was at work.

Did a TCU reset, Clutch and Shiftpoint learn plus a new filter (300 miles on old one..).

I've bit the bullet and ordered a Stainless Mesh filter (£240 for a fxcking oil filter..), coming from Australia of all places.

The last picture is the plastic guides they expect you to fit back in, bloody joke!.

View attachment 465395 View attachment 465393 View attachment 465394

Is the stainless filter meant to be a superior after-market replacement for the factory one?

I was vaguely thinking about getting a Kuga, and got as far as having a look in a Ford dealer.

A nearly new one is best part of £20,000 - a bit much for me - and the contents of this thread aren't very encouraging.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Is the stainless filter meant to be a superior after-market replacement for the factory one?

I was vaguely thinking about getting a Kuga, and got as far as having a look in a Ford dealer.

A nearly new one is best part of £20,000 - a bit much for me - and the contents of this thread aren't very encouraging.

Manual 2l Diesels don't seem to have many faults.

Auto Powershift is a lovely car and excellent tug for our caravan but expect big bills at 60,000 miles (seems to be the life of a Powershift)..

I've just bought a 30,000 mile gearbox to rebuild and fit, plus £160 for a unit to code the TCU as it's married to the car from new.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
What a piece of crap. I hope you get somewhere with Ford. If I was buying cars again (have a company car), I think I would go with Kia. A company that offers a 7 year transferable warranty says a lot. Or a Hyundai or Toyota with 5. Says a lot about these so called "quality" German cars people seem to be obsessed with, offering 3... I believe Ford is 3 too. A manufacturer that offers such a long warranty must be confident in its product.

I've owned a couple of MK1 Focus's and they were getting on, really good cars though, one was a manual, the other was an auto, but a torque converter 4 speed. I read that Ford make garbage CVT boxes, whether this is similar I don't know.

Top Bottom