Gearing for alpine climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bobbyp

Well, I ended up with 39x25 and that seemed to work well. Managed to get up Col de La Ramaz and Joux Plane with no problems (albeit rather slower than the Tour went over) Not sure a lower gear would have been neccesary, the slope wasn't much it was the length that was the problem.

Tynan

Veteran
good man for posting the outcome bobby and well done from the sounds of things

repairtec

If you are really fit and you do a lot of climbing you can get up the Ventoux on a 42 X 22 but if you suffer 'le fringle / bonk ' a 39 X 26 will be very welcome. Worth noting as a frequent traveller on the Ventoux a large majority of the people that overtake you after Le Chalet Renard have in fact roof racked the bike for the first 20km :rolleyes:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ah, well at least I didn't do that.
I may have needed stupidly low gearing even though I was in the best form I've had for over a decade, I may have chosen the easiest route up, but I did it. No walking, no cheating, just me, the bike and the hill. [/smug mode]

jimboalee

Well, I ended up with 39x25 and that seemed to work well. Managed to get up Col de La Ramaz and Joux Plane with no problems (albeit rather slower than the Tour went over) Not sure a lower gear would have been neccesary, the slope wasn't much it was the length that was the problem.

Half their speed or two thirds their speed? This makes a big difference to our level of respect.

Top Bottom