Gearing on your bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The most common transmission set up I have is 48/38/28 and a six speed 14-28 on the back. Since I hardly ever use the 48 x 14T top gear as it is, I see it as completely pointless having any rear sprocket smaller than a 14T as a smaller tooth count one would only ever be used in conjunction with the 38T middle ring and you shouldn't use a small/small combo anyway for chainline reasons..

I've an extremely wide gear range on my ICE trike.
38/55 double on a Shlumpf HSD and a 21t sprocket on a Rohloff built into a 20" wheel.

Luck .............. ^_^

And I'm telling you they wouldn't.
chill mr blue.

38T x 11-34T on my Saracen Pylon. Simple up/down gearing for mixing with traffic. I'm fine with the low gearing as bit of a grinder/masher even on steep hills but the high gearing is a little muted but really its a leisure bike not really looking to go super fast. I'm thinking of using the bike for an ebike conversion and I guess then I will go to something like a 50-52T front chainring as the motor will help with hill climbing so I can focus more on high gearing for flats and downhill. Although only 26" wheels I use 26"x 2.35" Schwalbe fat franks so I have a circumference probably around that of 700x25mm I think.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The road bikes are on 50/38 with 12-25 cassettes (10 speed) or 50/36 with 11-25 (11 speed), the Spa Elan is on 48/36 and a 12-27 cassette while the flat bars are 46/36 with a 12-26 cassette (Pickenflick) or 44 tooth single ring & a 12-28 cassette (Giant).

It does help that I'm in the relative flatlands of Suffolk with the occasional foray into the similar territory of Norfolk.

Stop getting offended with me getting offended.
Myself and Blue Hills go a long way back cycling together before we were both on this forum. He's been offending me for many years.
I would maybe perhaps have replied to that post but I am not sure I understood it.
Didn't know I'd ever offended you that much - apart from maybe the original Hell of Chiddingley * ride where I lead everyone to hell (if not back) - will maybe get round to posting my gearing specs/thoughts after a quick check.

* on gearing I maybe hanker after doing that again solo to see how much I've aged.

Top Bottom