Gearing Up For Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

orkneyblues

My daily commute is 16 miles round trip, nearly all is on exposed Orkney country roads.
I own two bikes, a Dawes Galaxy and a Giant Defy 2. I have been using the Giant exclusively since summer, but now with winter approaching I am opting for the Galaxy with its slightly wider tyres and triple chain-ring.
I cycled as much as I could through last winter and decided I need some new gear to keep me warm and dry. As a dad of three, I have to cycle on a limited budget.

First the feet.
I have carried out quit a lot of research on Overshoes and decided that, no matter how much you spend or whatever make, your feet will only stay dry some of the time.....hmmmm, next step was to look into affordable winter cycling boots - there are none. cheapest I could see online were over £80.

Plan B - what about trying to cycle with my Scapa Attax hiking boots, which are supremely waterproof and warm and well broken in, they don't seem to weigh much more than my current cycle shoe. (Lidles) could it be done? only one way to find out. I do not wear cleats, no reason why not, the bikes came with toe clips and I just stayed with them. This turned out to be fortunate for the boot wearer as the toe clips accommodated the boots just fine. I thought that I would suffer from ankle stress due to turning your ankle slightly differently as when wearing normal cycling shoes, but after 5 miles, no difference, 16 miles today, no difference. I plan to wear my gore tex over-trousers over the tops of my boots when it rains, but I fully expect to have dry feet on arrival. I will keep you posted onto the extent of my trial as winter progresses. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this?

I have also bought a half face neoprene mask to keep my face cosy on the coldest of mornings, this will go lovely with my skull cap I used last year. I have ordered a helmet rain cover from wiggle to keep rain of my head, and today I got some waterproof and wind proof snowboarders gloves for less than a fiver from Lidl's. I reckon that they are as good as some of the winter cycling gloves that I have been looking at from wiggle and others for £20- 30. While I was there I got a thermal performance top for £13, this is very similar to my £30 Helly Hanson base layer which I use quite a lot, in fact nearly all the time.
A free cycle plus buff comes in handy as well.

Added to this I wear a Altura night vision jacket with thermal bib tights. Hopefully I should be able to stay on the bike in all but the snowiest days.
How about you?

Steve H

Large Member
My feet definitely get much colder in the winter. I'm sure overshoes can help. In the rain though, I need to stay dry. I can recommend these socks for keeping the tootsies nice and dry.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Socks_-_Waterproof/

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like you're all geared up for the winter there orkneyblues.
I use a nice pair of thick wooly socks and thick neoprene overshoes and that did me fine last year up to -2,didn't risk it when the snow/ice came though.
Have ordered some Altura winter cruiser tights which should sort my bottom half out,merino baselayer and a couple more thinnish layers on top with a thin showerproof jacket.
Skullcap and buff to keep the worst of the cold off the head/face,some Aldi winter gloves or my Regatta Motorbikers gloves to finish off.
cold.gif

jimboalee

A tip to keep warm tootsies.

Get a Thinsulate wooly hat. Unpick the stitching that holds the Thinsulate lining in and remove the Thinsulate lining. Cut the Thinsulate lining in two. With some neat needlework, make two 'toe pockets'.

Wear the 'toe pockets' over your toes under your socks.

Tip for users of Clips and straps.

Get some 2" wide Gaffer tape. Using the Gaffer tape, make a shield across the front of the 'rat trap' sandwiching the 'rat trap' between a double layer of Gaffer tape.

Use these two tips together and you have not spent much keeping your toes from frostbite.

jimboalee

For keeping legs warm.

Go straight round to your local wetsuit maker. Get him to make you up bib longs in 2mm, BONDED, not stitched.
Wear these OVER a pair of thick tights. Pretty Polly will do.

Peter10

I'm sure London doesn't even come close to how cold you will get there in the Orkney's. I have a Helly Hansen base layer, which although is pretty good, doesn't quite do as much as I hoped but does the job for now. I may get the full thermal one soon though. I also have the Altura Night Vision Winter tights which are awesome. used them on Wednesday nights trip home at 11pm and I didn't feel a bit of cold (and it was bloody freezing).

I also have a few More Mile winter cycling tops which do the job also, along with a Buff for my head and ears. For my hands I have Seal Skinz winter gloves which I reviewed here: https://www.cyclechat.net/

The only thing I am missing really is some overshoes and warm socks. I am still in summer cycling socks which really don't do the job any more.

doddman

A few merino baselayers from icebreaker or smartwool. Beautiful! Altura nightvision jacket, still waterproof after 3 years, but i feel its life may be coming to an end, if so, im just going to put three holes in a bin liner, and put that underneath my outside layer!

Feet, I agree with OP, no overshoes will ever be totally waterproof. My solution is a pair of socks undernearth a supermarket carrier bag, under another pair of socks! As long as your socks dont make your feet too tight in he shoes lovely warm and dry feet! Until you sweat them soggy that is, but still, they'll be warm!

Legs, well it would have to be an exceptionally cold day for me to wear any kind of leg protection, but i find that a simple pair of loose tights with those feet loop holes is enough to take the chill off until i warm up A pair of grade 2 royal navy goretex trousers are available for huge downpours but I find it next to impossible to cycle in them!

Head, a lovely merino buff up over my neck mouth and nose. Good tip for those with cold/exercise induced asthma, this has been the single greatest help to me, by warming the air i breathe in. A nice merino skullcap type thing knitted by my dear old mum (awwhh) does for under the helmet, not waterproof or windproof but enough to take the bite out of the wind!

Wobblers

Euthermic
What will I be wearing this winter?? Clothes! :thumbsup:

On a more serious note, I think you're already well set-up. I can't see any problems with using hiking boots with toe clips, if you're comfortable with them. They'll probably be more waterproof and warmer than most cycling boots.

You do seem to be planning on wearing quite a few waterproof layers: unless you usually cycle very slowly, waterproofs tend to make things hot and sweaty. Even a breathable waterproof like gortex simply can't cope with the amount of sweat produced if you're going even at a moderate pace.I tend just to wear a waterproof jacket - tonight's FNRttC looks like it'll be wet, so I'll put on my paclite gortex jacket (the pace will be quite slow so I ought not to overheat). I do occasionally wear waterproof overtrousers on my commute because it's very short at 3.5 downhill miles. Even so, the waterproofs would become intolerable at any distance greater than this, so I don't bother for the journey back. A good pair of roubaix tights will still be warm even when wet.

It's more important to keep your hands and feet warm - good gloves and boots or warm socks + overshoes are essential.

Top Bottom