Wet Lube clean up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

So I have a fairly new bike which is in pristine condition.

I have been using wet lube for the chain and it is making a mess of the frame and it seems impossible to shift the dirty lube stains off the frame.

What should I use to shift these stubborn marks along the back of the frame?

Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
First off. It sounds like you are leaving too much lube on your chain.
Best practice is after you have lubed the chain, get a rag and run the chain through it to get all the access off.

In regards to oil on the frame, try WD40, white spirit or even a bit of neat washing up liquid.

si_c

Guru
Definitely using too much chain lubricant, it should be more or less dry to the touch when you've finished wiping it down properly, even when using "wet" lube.

To get marks off the frame I use a microfibre cloth and spray WD40 on it and then apply a bit of elbow grease.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
The purpose of using chain lube is to minimise friction between the pins and inside of rollers and inside of inner plates. You don't really need lube on the 'outside'. When applying lube, make sure to hit every roller, give it 2 minutes, and then grab a cloth and wipe the entirety of the chain. Manufacturers usually have an appropriate lube remover/degreaser in their product range if you made a mess.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Not very environmentally friendly but baby wipes sometimes quite good.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I get on really well with Morgan blue chain cleaner. Not only good for cleaning drive chain components but will deal with your oil infested frame members without doing any damage to paint. Spray on, wait one then wipe or wash off with water.
You'll know now to wipe your chain with a rag after oiling as well, like the other contributors have it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A good wash with hot soapy water will remove much of it. Mr Sheen furniture polish to remove any residue (other polish brands are available).

Search for "Mickle Method" on here for an excellent approach to chain cleaning and lubing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Just to follow on from this

I purchased some muc off dry lube as I tend to really only go out when it’s dry and also wanted to see if it kept my chain cleaner.

I’ve been cleaning and re lubing the chain after every ride, it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve been out as weather up here has been horrendous, I went out yesterday however after around 15 miles I could hear the chain was very dry?

I’m guessing the dry lube had dried up in the time since I lubed and going out yesterday?

Have read a few reviews saying it doesn’t last well at all?

Last edited:
Top Bottom