Gears again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldbrownjava

Sorry to post yet another gear question but I can't find the answer to my specific question.

I have a Pinnacle Mean Streak 1.0 - the frame is more mountain bike than road, but the gears are to my mind hybrid. Last week I used the bike on the C2C fully loaded and found the gear ratios inadequate. I needed both lower and higher gears.

The bike is fitted with 7 speed Shimano gears - 28/38/48 chain ring with 14-28 on the rear.

I really like the rest of the bike and have given myself a budget of around £100 to improve it. What is the most cost effective way of upgrading this bike?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Freewheel or cassette?

One of these will give you a bit more range top & bottom if it's a cassette, but the jumps between gears are pretty big.

If freewheel you'd be lucky to find anything beyond 14-28

Are your chainwheels bolted on or riveted?
If bolted you might be able to find a 26T and 50T with the right BCDs cheap on fleabay. In theory that would be outside the range of most front mechs.... but it should still work.

******edit*****
ooops
Should have checked first...you can still get 7 speed 14-34 freewheels which will give you lower "bottom" gear. - and changing the 48 big ring for a 50 will get you slightly higher top end, although at 90RPM it's only about an extra 1 mph

OP
OP
O

oldbrownjava

Thankyou - Pete, the chain rings appear to be screwed on. They are nasty black cheap things, it will be nice to replace them.

gavintc

Guru
I am not surprised that you run out of gears at the top end. A ratio of 48-14 is quite low for a descent, but more than adequate for flat riding for most legs. At the other end 28-28 is pretty low. One turn of the pedals will turn the back wheel once. I have not toured, but it may be worth chatting it through with a bike shop. Ideally, you want to increase the range for your rear cassette - this will be cheapest option.

Top Bottom