Gears & Crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tel123

(I must be going mad, thought I posted this already??)
Hi All
Been away for a few weeks, been down in London but took my bike with me!! Been doing a few things on the bike, New grips (not Ergon), new right pedal. Secondhand Brookes saddle!!
Dont know whether its my little legs but I find the gears really heavy going!! They all work, I can get the 6 gears, what is it, the High (or is it the 'low') 3rd gear is so hard I am standing up just about peddling:laugh:. Just reading up on here, do I need a different crankset or?? Appreciate your help/advice. TC

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Let's have a pic of your bike from the drive side.
What pressure are you running the tyres at? What sort of terrain are you riding over?

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
If you have the 50T or 52T chainset the gearing is quite heavy going, ideal for flat city riding but a struggle up hills. You may find a 44T chainwheel easier going.

OP
OP
T

tel123

This is wot I have now!
003C9708-1987-45CB-A19B-B50FB8064CB8.jpeg
A8D4A1BB-39E1-4EA5-A3F9-5447E19C9909.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're traversing mainly flat terrain I can't understand why you're struggling.
44t chainring as suggested by @Gunk would be easiest/cheapest fix.

OP
OP
T

tel123

have tried using the high 1 2 3 but I would have to doing about 50mph down hill to use the high 3rd. Just me I suppose. Something to make it easier is in the pipeline. Cheers cyclops.

Kell

Veteran
It really depends on your pedalling style.

When I went out a couple of weekends ago, I worked out that the gearing pretty much equated to a drop (or increase) of around 10RPM from one gear to the next at the same speed.

From memory, this was about 80RPM at 20mph in 6th, but this jumped to 90RPM in 5th at the same speed.

I tend to be a 'grinder' (have to careful how you use that word these days) so I find that a standard 6-speed with a 50T chainring is just about right for me. I did try the 44T chainring a while back as I have a fairly steep (12%) hill as part of my daily commute and I figured the 44T would make it easier. It did, but it was at the expense of the rest of the ride. As the hill is not that big a part of my journey, it wasn't worth sacrificing the rest of it as I was spinning out too frequently at the top end, and couldn't get comfortable in any gear as it just didn't suit my style.

Even when I go out on my road bike, if I'm not paying attention to my cadence, it will easily drop into the low 70s, high 60s - which isn't that efficient.

Of course, YMMV and you may find that simply swapping to a 44T ring solves all your problems, but only you will be able to answer that based on your cadence preference, your top speed and whether or not you're trying to go fast or just get there.

I actually think something like a 48T would probably suit me better. The 50T is still a little over-geared, but the 44T was way under-geared.

It might be something I try next time I change it out - if it's possible to find something that will fit the Brompton cranks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tel123

Think I will try the 44t I only got little legs and at the moment I can only use 1 & 2, the rest would have to be used going down hill!!! Down in London for awhile but will give it a go when I get home!! Cheers everyone for the advice.....

Top Bottom