1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gears for woman's tourer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by rich p, 22 Dec 2007.

1. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Not sure if this should be in Know How or Touring and Exp but I'll try here first.
    My wife is having a new tourer built and so we have to choose which gears to have. Given that she wants Shimano I'm not sure whether she'd be better off with Sora or Tiagra or Ultegra. Tiagra and Ultegra just a price difference and presumably quality?
    Sora because I wonder whether the thumb operation makes it easier for a small handed person.
    Any views would be welcome.

This is the bike more or less -
    http://villiers-velo.co.uk/Villiers-Velo/main.htm

2. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Small hands are better served with Campag
    I would propose getting Veloce. But, if she is determined to get Shimano, I would get 105 as a quality mid range system.

3. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Agree. Tiagra's eight speed, right?

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Tiagra is nine speed, Sora eight.

On triple touring setup either would be good enough, if you're not cycling competitively you don't need the close ratios of ten-speed.

5. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

I bow to your experience.

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine

No reason not to use Sora STIs with better mechs

7. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Good thinking, Doc.

8. P.H

P.H Über Member

Sora goes 9 speed for 2008, if that's what you want.
    It's also advertised as having reach adjusting shims for small hands, so could be useful.
    Shimano Sora

9. ash68

ash68 New Member

I have sora 8 speed on my winter bike and touring bike.I Like the thumb shift lever as I usually ride on the hoods. I've done around 10,000 miles on my winter bike and the sti's have been faultless in that time. I've just renewed the inner cables and had no reason to complain about the reliability. I use 105 sti's on my summer bike and they feel a little lighter to operate, but other than that they all do the same job, at the end of the day it's down to personal preference.

10. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

Sora shifters have an adjusting screw at the front of the levers to adjust the reach which can be useful for smaller hnds.

11. twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood Senior Member

The shifters are only one part of the equation, I wouldn't recommend any shimano or campag road/race crankset for touring 52 or 50 is simply too high to be useful, especially for a woman. You should be looking at a 48/38/28 triple or thereabouts. Look at shimano LX or nexave or you could re-ring.