Gears on track ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m_hol_hol

Is is possible to attach a derailleur hanger to a frame with standard rear-facing track ends? I got a nice steel frame on the cheap a few weeks ago because it was in my size (43cm - I don't see them often!) but I don't really want to have to ride it singlespeed. Would it be possible to make it geared without using an internal hub?

The derraileur hanger needn't be a problem, just get the type that hooks onto the axle, held in place by the QR/axlenut.

Of more concern will be the frame spacing. With track ends, the chances are it's a 110mm spaced frame that won't be wide enough a cassette or screw-on block.

If it's steel, I guess you could cold set (ie bend) it, but you may be better leaving that sort of caper to someone who knows what they're about.

f

OP
OP
M

m_hol_hol

Ah, that's a relief. I was a bit concerned the only way around the problem would have been some expensive welding. I'd briefly looked into hook-on type hangers, but wasn't sure if they'd only work on front-facing drop-outs.

And thankfully it's actually a singlespeed cyclocross frame (a Bianchi San Jose) with 130mm spacing, so that won't be a problem. Can't wait til it's all built up!

Saddle bum

Über Member
[weneye mode]
Back in the 60's it was quite common to see campag gear hangers brazed to track ends.
However, I believe the OLD was kept at the standard for the day, 120mm and gear/fixed hubs used.

Gears for summer, fixed for winter.
[/weneye mode]

Top Bottom