Gears!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My flip-flop fixie was so grotty this morning that I had to do a 30-mile round trip to a meeting on a geared road bike.

I set off on the fixie, but it was a wasted effort. The chain sounded like an asthmatic, whispering Frenchman and one of the brakes was annoyingly draggy. I'd been riding and not maintaining it through the winter and it sort of refused to be good today. So.. Quick change and out came Geared Bike.

Wow! Like, WOW!! Oh... My... Actual... GOD!!! Like.... Just..... OMG!

I do like fixed, but this geared toy was a sensation! It's been bolted to a Turbo since November, so I'd forgotten what it did. It does lots of things terribly well.

Through a series of clever linkages, I can change between several gear ratios by tapping with the fingers and thumbs behind the brake levers. Extraordinary. Just extraordinary.

I found the lower ratios (of those available) were excellent for those pesky climbs one comes across. Meanwhile, the outer chainring (of two) made descents a jet-powered scream-dream of adrenaline. It was like fixed-gear, but with freewheel and the ability to change gear. Zappy!

Suddenly I was Lance Armstrong. The road was damp in places, but not wet. It was windy, but there was a ratio for every wind speed the atmosphere threw at me.

(Oddly, I spent much time on the flat in a gear very like that on my fixed (72") but that was lack of imagination more than anything.

I do love fixed-gear. I do, I do, I do. I love it.

But... this gears & freewheel fashion might catch on. Has anyone else tried it lately?

Suddenly I was Lance Armstrong.

er..

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Boris Bajic i have a fixie and a single speed and several geared bikes and at the moment on geared bike mode but next week who knows .

all have there own merits

edindave

Über Member
I'm really looking forward to digging out my geared road bike next month for my first Audax. I have been Fixed although mostly S/S for a few months now.

tyred

Legendary Member
I ride fixed a lot but have had a new toy for this winter - an old road bike with a Sturmy AW. A lot of the advantages but easier on the climbs, I've covered about 1,000 miles on it so far since I built it in September, probably about twice what I've done on my winter fixed.

I haven't rode a derailleur geared bike since August. Too much TLC required over the winter.

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

Best bit about geared bikes, is wen you're bored to them you can pretend its a singlespeed by just not changing gear.

In the same way you can pretend they're a horse by saying "Giddy Up!" or pretend they're a motorcycle by saying "Brmmm Brmmmm!"

I love riding geared, but riding it in a single gear is not really anything like riding single-speed...

Damn.... Did I take a jocular post too seriously?

Did anyone notice? Oh, that's OK then. As you were!

Drago

Legendary Member
Not perhaps quite the same, but almost.

If you were blind, and had no fingers do you couldn't feel the levers then you wouldn't know the difference.

Ok, you'd fall off a lot as well, but y'dig?

Wait to you try a Rohloff hub and find out you can change gear whilst stationary and each and every gear change is sequential, none of this up on at the front, down one at the back to get back to where you where when you started... and you get the chain life/teeth life and advantages of a fixed...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom