Gels mixed in water bottles, good idea ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mixing gels with water is an expensive way of getting maltodextrin into the bottle; far far cheaper is to buy maltodextrin in bulk from Myprotein.com and pour about two fingers' worth into the bottle then top up and shake well. You can add an electrolyte tab if you are prone to cramp or the weather is very warm.

AFAIK energy gels are just the same as Bisto gravy but without the colour and flavour; a gloopy gel of food starch. You pay a hell of a lot for the convenience of the packaging but it will stay in the environment fo ever.

Thanks again (and colin) for the myprotein maltodextrin thumbs up a while ago. Used on one ride and all fine. From now on will try to use on all my longer rides. Will cut my stops to wolf down lots of lidl wine gums and breakfast goods. Will maintain the espresso habit though. If tdf folks were forced to brew a double espresso once on each stage I may get interested in it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's only one down side to maltodextrin, which I have mentioned in other posts, which is that for an hour or two after the ride I am usually bothered by griping guts then flatulence because the body is less good at processing carbohydrates nowadays. It's the reason why I've had to give up eating beans.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dextrosol. Long forgotten but readily available.
You can eat them dry, fast acting, non sticky and space-saving. You can add them to your water bottle.
They are cheap.
On long rides When I refill my bottle I drop-in a hydration tab and a couple of Dextrosols. Otherwise @Dogtrousers method.

Dextrosol. Long forgotten but readily available.
You can eat them dry, fast acting, non sticky and space-saving. You can add them to your water bottle.
They are cheap.
On long rides When I refill my bottle I drop-in a hydration tab and a couple of Dextrosols. Otherwise @Dogtrousers method.
I think I have asked before, but can you provide a link to your supplier. Will try to save this time.

There's only one down side to maltodextrin, which I have mentioned in other posts, which is that for an hour or two after the ride I am usually bothered by griping guts then flatulence because the body is less good at processing carbohydrates nowadays. It's the reason why I've had to give up eating beans.

Sounds like a serious drawback for you at least. No problems for me on my single use but then never had an issue with the sis stuff. Will experiment more and carry a refill next time.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Last edited:
Hi Blue, you can buy them in most large supermarkets and probably chemists as well.

EDIT - NOW CALLED ‘DEXTRO ENERGY’ and widely available as mentioned :-)

https://www.superdrug.com/Dextro/De...gclid=CPiDprPN3uICFeky0wodbmMBFQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks.

I actually found them just down the road - strangely they were cheapest at Sainsburys* - £1.10 for two packs whereas they usually seem to be about 70p for one - and Sainsburys was even cheaper than online.

Had an odd idea when I picked them up that I had had them before - maybe I bought some after your last tip and they are festering somewhere.

* If anyone else is looking for them in Sainsburys I found them in the middle rack of shelving (odd in itself - cheaper stuff usually out of sight at the bottom) below condoms - below the dextro tabs on the bottom shelf were SIS tablets and male incontinence pads - not sure if that implies anything about SIS tabs.

So take your pick - condoms, dextro, SIS, incontinence aids.

Top Bottom