General advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CJ87

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and cycling in general. I've recently bought a cheap entry level road bike to help me get fit and give up smoking (I know this isn't ideal although it has cut my cigarette intake down considerably). To my suprise I've discovered I really enjoy cycling! Basically I am managing about 6-7 miles a day (I realise this is nothing compared to what you guys probably do) quite comfortably and my short term goal is to be able to ride to my girlfriends house most nights which would be about a 15 mile round trip. I did try this yesterday and the hilly country lanes completely destroyed me! How should I go about upping my mileage? Is it best to simply add a mile or two say every few weeks? Also a friend of mine upon seeing the old free weights lying in my garage suggested these would help, is this true and if so what kind of excercises/weights should I be doing?
Just one more question, being an average 20 year old smoker (down to around 5 day) is it absurd for me to start thinking about joining a club a few months down the line?
Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Chris.

Keeno

Hi CJ

Welcome to the forum. Im starting out just like you, although im a non smoker so at a bit of an advantage. I just extended my run that ive being doing, it was around 7 mile and I went out for 11 miles on thursday. I found that there was very little difference in it (well there is only 4 ;) ). Id just say add on a few mile next time you go out and see how you go.

Most important thing is to enjoy it, no point busting a gut and not wanting to do it again.

longers

Legendary Member
Hello ;),

I can't give you a training plan or anything like that but steadily does it.

You can go too far too soon (and probably will - most of us have) but just keep at it and allow yourself time off the bike to recover. It's by exercising and resting not just exercising alone that you get stronger/fitter.

Give up the tabs and join a club? No problem.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi welcome to the forum and welcome to cycling.

Just keep the cycling going, 6 miles a day is pretty far for someone new to cycling, so just take it easy. After a while your body soon adapts to the mileage. It just takes time and a little effort.

I took up cycling again after a 20 year break 2 years ago. I decided to cycle 1.5 miles to the station and back. Damn near killed me at first.
I know cycle 26 mile round trip to work with a 50 odd miler on a saturday for fun.

As I said, keep it up, take it easy, give it time and it will get easier.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome CJ
One of the great joys of cycling is that with a bit of effort you build fitness speed and distance relatively quickly.
I agree with the others, don't over-do it, allow some time for rest and recovery. Vary the "way" you ride, do longer slower trips and some short fast + furious runs too.
Get some decent shorts (dhb's at Wiggle are good VFM) and mitts to start with. Make sure you know how to deal with P*nctures.
Try spinning a lower gear rather than pushing a higher gear hard.

As for club riding, you'll need to be fairly fit, running say 18-19 mph on the flat with the ability to do that for a few hours. Keep at it, it'll come!

Good luck and enjoy!

OP
OP
C

CJ87

Thanks for the advice and kind words guys, I went to my gym this morning and turns out they can do me a free training plan as one of the guys is a club cyclist, I guess if you don't ask you don't get! Hopefully I'll be racking up the miles and kicking the ciggis before I know it, also good shout with the shorts Fab foodie ordered myself some this afternoon!
Cheers.

Top Bottom