General Health - How we doing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Fast approaching 55 147 llbs ,5 foot 7 .
Every day I wake up and groan as I get out of bed as something always aches or Hurt's.
Collar bone has 11 pins in it which play up, edge of bone over joint tender and shoulder muscle numb.
Arthritis in right hand which comes and goes so when it's bad I can't even hold a toothbrush comfortably.
Reynauds affects my every day as some days even getting milk out of the fridge sets it off.
Mentally pretty rocky as most days I think I would rather be dead.
Other than that I'm fine 😉

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well 68 years young and as fit as I've ever been. At 72.5kg I'm 1/1.5 kg heavier than I'd like to be but that's really a vanity project. My August annual health check and bloods was, to use the practice nurse's word, "perfect." My cycling is not as strong as I'd like but I understand why and how to address it.

So that's the good bit.

I'm epileptic but know my triggers and usually get 20/30 minutes warning of a potential "episode" and I know how to avert them.

October 2015 I had a heart attack but obviously fully recovered. January 2019 I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage resulting from an aneurysm. Basically this is a haemorrhage on the brain and an uncommon form of stroke. After 10½ hours surgery my wife was given the prognosis "first we have to see if he wakes up." Next he moves his hands etc. At one follow up appointment I was mentally in bits, the nurse told me not to be hard on myself as in 4 months I'd recovered to a point most survivors take 18 months to reach. It was a strange few months, I didn't know I was ill and only later understood the seriousness of the illness.

I do remember, and this may sound bizarre, making a conscious decision to get better. It came to me one night. I knew I had a choice between 100% recovery and something else. I chose recovery. It was, I believe, a "vision" as I was off the morphine by then. My brain gave me a choice, it was very weird. My family and my best friend saved me. I've tried expressing my gratitude but its hard to get across. I behaved strangely for months and many, many people forgave that.

I've some aches but after a brain haemorrhage I know what pain is and never use the word.

I ride my bike, keep smiling and if I keel over on a ride so be it. How can I write the first paragraph? Well it's true and I firmly believe cycling gave me the strong basic fitness my body needed to build on to achieve my recovery.

I have no intention of becoming old and as Pete Townshend wrote "hope I die before I get old"

D

Deleted member 1258

Well 68 years young and as fit as I've ever been. At 72.5kg I'm 1/1.5 kg heavier than I'd like to be but that's really a vanity project. My August annual health check and bloods was, to use the practice nurse's word, "perfect." My cycling is not as strong as I'd like but I understand why and how to address it.

So that's the good bit.

I'm epileptic but know my triggers and usually get 20/30 minutes warning of a potential "episode" and I know how to avert them.

October 2015 I had a heart attack but obviously fully recovered. January 2019 I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage resulting from an aneurysm. Basically this is a haemorrhage on the brain and an uncommon form of stroke. After 10½ hours surgery my wife was given the prognosis "first we have to see if he wakes up." Next he moves his hands etc. At one follow up appointment I was mentally in bits, the nurse told me not to be hard on myself as in 4 months I'd recovered to a point most survivors take 18 months to reach. It was a strange few months, I didn't know I was ill and only later understood the seriousness of the illness.

I do remember, and this may sound bizarre, making a conscious decision to get better. It came to me one night. I knew I had a choice between 100% recovery and something else. I chose recovery. It was, I believe, a "vision" as I was off the morphine by then. My brain gave me a choice, it was very weird. My family and my best friend saved me. I've tried expressing my gratitude but its hard to get across. I behaved strangely for months and many, many people forgave that.

I've some aches but after a brain haemorrhage I know what pain is and never use the word.

I ride my bike, keep smiling and if I keel over on a ride so be it. How can I write the first paragraph? Well it's true and I firmly believe cycling gave me the strong basic fitness my body needed to build on to achieve my recovery.

I have no intention of becoming old and as Pete Townshend wrote "hope I die before I get old"

Beware old age, it has a habit of sneaking up on people, we all age a different rates, keep pedalling it can slow the process down.

At 75 I have always been relatively fit and very healthy but I have developed a few health issues in the last 18 months. Mild prostate cancer and a pacemaker fitted because of an electrical signal problem but, in themselves not a real problem except they make me realise I am not getting any younger.

I manage to get out a few times a week for 20+ miles, but one thing that is concerning me recently is a worrying problem when I work really hard for more than a few minutes e.g. climbing a steep hill. I start off OK then quite suddenly my quads feel very painful and my head feels as if I will faint if I don't stop at that point. Once I stop for a minute everything is fine again. I probably shouldn't do it but I can't help pushing it every few rides to see if there is any improvement in my limits. I am upset that it has made me chicken out on my favourite Brecon Beacons ride this year because it has a number of very steep hills, and I ride solo in an area with virtually no telephone reception.

I don't like the health problems since 2021, but that's life and I have to accept them, although I will continue to push against them and wait a bit longer before getting that e-bike.

gzoom

Über Member
I don't like the health problems since 2021, but that's life and I have to accept them, although I will continue to push against them and wait a bit longer before getting that e-bike.
Am 40, 69kg, BMI 21, down to 15% body fat, but I WOULDN'T do my work commute on a none assisted eBike. Infact I've not ridden my normal bike for over 18 months.

It's not about pushing through anything, eBikes are just more fun :smile:.

Am 40, 69kg, BMI 21, down to 15% body fat, but I WOULDN'T do my work commute on a none assisted eBike. Infact I've not ridden my normal bike for over 18 months.

It's not about pushing through anything, eBikes are just more fun :smile:.

Nothing against e-bikes and tbf if I was commuting I would do it on an e-bike. I will get one at some time, and certainly would if I was still going to mtb centres.

I have ridden e-bikes and they can be fun for certain rides, but I ride as much for personal enjoyment as fun.

My friend, who is 80, has the perfect balance. He uses the battery on his Cannondale Synapse to get him up the steepest hills, that he can no longer do due to his heart problems, and treats it as a normal bike everywhere else. He still does his regular 50 mile rides this way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All good, nearly 53, few aches from various cycling injuries (ex broked spine) and more recently I stacked the road bike. My non-fixed shoulder is clunking and clicking from this off and I've a nice scar on my forearm. Fixed shoulder(from previous accident) is all good.

Back to cycle commuting on a stupidly heavy 90's MTB with way too much weight in my panniers - and it's not electric in anyway and it's still quicker than an ebike. ^_^ Enjoying the commute as it's nearly all off road - tracks, cycleways etc. Might consider an ebike when I'm 90.

Hopefully shoulder will sort itself in next 4 weeks (only been 3 weeks) as I'll be chucking myself off mountains on the MTB in October and November (planned rides).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Beware old age, it has a habit of sneaking up on people, we all age a different rates, keep pedalling it can slow the process down.

I certainly hope so dave. That and other things, remaining mentally alert and using one's mind to be enquiring one minute, bloody daft the next!

In my immediate circle of very close friends we often comment "what would the kids think" which is about the daft stuff we do and silly behaviour we indulge ourselves with. Controlled bonkers is best!!!! ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
56 and a half 😀
Health is all good. Bloods all OK, cholesterol all OK. Suffer from low vitamin D and Iron so take supplements for that. My resting heart rate is avg high 40's/low 50's so pretty good.
Do have a few minor problems. I suffer from chronic rhinusitus which means in the winter and cold weather my nose blocks with gunk very easy. Take medication when needed.
Like @fossyant I have a shoulder that grinds and clicks due to injury from being knocked off by a copper 10 years ago.
I also suffer from quite bad restless legs syndrome of which I'm on Pregabalin which is a medication for epilepsy, to ease the symptoms. Off to neurological clinic soon for assessment.
Apart from all that, I could do with losing a few kilos, (i'm apprx 78kgs) but not overweight. And as the old saying goes I'm fit as a butchers dog. Due to my many miles on the bike.

All uphill

Still rolling along
67, 5'8" and 74kg.

Big prostate, hearing and sight both less than 100%. A few aches and pains particularly in my hips.

Still enjoying cycling, gardening and happier than I have ever been generally. I am aware, every day, that time is getting shorter for me.

Changes to diet over the last few years have made a huge positive difference. Eliminating alcohol has been the best thing I have ever done. Reducing dairy and wheat has also helped.

I'm grateful to have got this far!

D

Deleted member 1258

I certainly hope so dave. That and other things, remaining mentally alert and using one's mind to be enquiring one minute, bloody daft the next!

In my immediate circle of very close friends we often comment "what would the kids think" which is about the daft stuff we do and silly behaviour we indulge ourselves with. Controlled bonkers is best!!!! ^_^

Unfortunately growing old is compulsory, fortunately growing up isn't, there was a post on facebook a while ago, she said "when I grow old I don't want to be the little old lady that people look at and go isn't she sweet, I want to be the one that people look at and say, "I wonder what the daft old bat is up to now!". I like her style.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
At 56

No health issues, no medications, no aches or pains. Just did bowel cancer screening in August and all clear.

Blood pressure 97 / 69 latest measurement

BMI 22.2, weight 71.6kg

Body fat 14.5%, visceral fat index 10 (less than 14 is good)

Resting HR between 42-48 most morning measurements.

Weight and resting HR unchanged from 20 years ago. My other measurements don’t go back that far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom