General Health - How we doing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unfortunately growing old is compulsory, fortunately growing up isn't, there was a post on facebook a while ago, she said "when I grow old I don't want to be the little old lady that people look at and go isn't she sweet, I want to be the one that people look at and say, "I wonder what the daft old bat is up to now!". I like her style.

That is my goal in life! :crazy:

49 nearly 50 in December. Seems this is health grumble thread well if my family knew I was posting they'd call me a hypochondriac and put me down. Since we're all friends here I hope that's not going to happen.

Almost 10 years ago I was a very fit individual then I had a child that became the centre of our lives. Over time my fitness decreased but only after about 5 or so years. That coincided with a sudden drop in performance on my daily commute by bike. 10-15 minutes after getting to work I would cough my guts up. 2 years of colleagues being Ann by my cough I went to the GP. He said I had asthma and I got a peak flow meter and salbutamol inhaler. That helped but a350 reading didn't seem that good to me. 2 years later I had a bad cold and it left my asthma to be much worse than normal. 10 plus doses a day. Went back to gp and apparently my diagnosis wasn't a diagnosis and I had to go to an asthma nurse to get it. Did that but that's not what to do so I had to record a few weeks of peak flow readings again to get it. Clearly 350 or 400 after salbutamol was asthma so brown inhaler. I'm off it and my asthma isn't bad at all. But now I have mild asthma too add to my migraines on holiday insurance forms.

So with asthma under control, daily allergy tablets and frequent tablets to manage IBS related symptoms I'm basically healthy. Oh! Forgot my exercise consists of two lots of Brompton rides on my commute. Sure I consistently do 9000 to 11000 steps but I know I'm not doing enough.

I simply don't get much time. Very early starts and unable to exercise at home when 9 yo son is awake. Concept 2 rower remains folded away. I'm only starting with my excuses BTW.

Overall I'm healthy but if I don't make a change with exercise levels soon it'll change. I need more CV and strength exercises. I also need to work on my balance too. Got other issues which stop me doing that but I'm not going into that.

Oh and I've got a stinker of a cold. But I'll stop my grumble there, shoulder still painful, ok last grumble,!

Seriously I feel OK health wise and I know getting to be more active will help a lot.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
75 in a couple of weeks time. 5' 10" and BMI just sneaks in under the "overweight bar".

Heart attack, 24 years ago, but, still here to tell the tale.

Medication for BP, and, of course statins.

Try to cycle, at least every other day, with a self imposed 'target' of 150 miles/month.

Try to walk 4 - 5 miles, on the days I don't cycle.

To anyone who asks "how are you", I answer "Fine, thank you" (even if I don't feel 100%, my view is, feeling unwell is bad enough, why would you want to talk about it too?)

Every morning I wake up, I smile, I am still here.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Thank you for asking.

Technically 58 although I am between my 14th and 15th birthdays in reality.
Noticed today that my breathing is not so hot. Temp is dropping and my long term, seasonal asthma has popped it’s head up and gone ‘yoohoo’ in a wheezy manner. Back on the old lung sucker then.

I have been on HRT, thank god, for 18 months. Little weight gain but the gym, bikes and boxing training keeps me strong and fit. I am probably moving to Hunstanton soon and thought I fancy s go at Kitesurfing. I saw many older-than-me ladies just nailing it out there so it could be a lot of fun.

Only meds are HRT and my pink and white (duel) inhaler so pretty darn blessed, I think. Painkillers when I need for the stupid wrist but it’s all good.

gbb

Legendary Member
A game of two halves for me.
64, i take no prescription medicines (which a doctor remarked recently was reasonably unusual at my age), have generally good health, my parents and previous generations all seem of sound long living stock

But..
While the long term effects of TB and pneumonia about 10 years ago have as good as gone, that took me off any excercise for 2 years and i never got my fitness back.
Osteo Arthritis then got a grip of me about 5 years ago maybe and its got progressively worse, now i ache ALL the time and sleep poorly because of it and pop non prescription medication all the time to dull the aches. i can't cycle any more than 10 miles on an ebike, its just too painfull for days after to do any more. As a former fanatic who would cycle 50 miles hard for fun, i never thought i'd see myself effectively a non cyclist but reality bites, i just can't do it anymore

If someone devised a treatment that would cure it, i'd happily pay £10K TOMORROW to get it.

Alex321

Veteran
63 here, in generally good health. I don't take any prescription medication, and very rarely any over the counter stuff.

5'9", weight bounces around between 13.5 and 14 stone, but I'm happy with that - I was 16 stone 1 before re-starting cycling at the beginning of the pandemic, and I hadn't been below 15 stone for at least 20 years.

I do have hearing aids, but the main need for them stems from fluid on my left inner ear, caused by an operation many years ago to try to stop me snoring (it failed in that!). And I need prescription vision enhancers - have worn contact lenses since I was 18.

I have a metal plate in my wrist as a result of the smash I had on my bike in March this year, but that is the only significant bone I have ever broken, and I have recovered pretty well full use of the wrist. It does take a little longer than it used to for recovery from bangs and scrapes, but not excessively so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
49 nearly 50 in December. Seems this is health grumble thread well if my family knew I was posting they'd call me a hypochondriac and put me down. Since we're all friends here I hope that's not going to happen.

Almost 10 years ago I was a very fit individual then I had a child that became the centre of our lives. Over time my fitness decreased but only after about 5 or so years. That coincided with a sudden drop in performance on my daily commute by bike. 10-15 minutes after getting to work I would cough my guts up. 2 years of colleagues being Ann by my cough I went to the GP. He said I had asthma and I got a peak flow meter and salbutamol inhaler. That helped but a350 reading didn't seem that good to me. 2 years later I had a bad cold and it left my asthma to be much worse than normal. 10 plus doses a day. Went back to gp and apparently my diagnosis wasn't a diagnosis and I had to go to an asthma nurse to get it. Did that but that's not what to do so I had to record a few weeks of peak flow readings again to get it. Clearly 350 or 400 after salbutamol was asthma so brown inhaler. I'm off it and my asthma isn't bad at all. But now I have mild asthma too add to my migraines on holiday insurance forms.

So with asthma under control, daily allergy tablets and frequent tablets to manage IBS related symptoms I'm basically healthy. Oh! Forgot my exercise consists of two lots of Brompton rides on my commute. Sure I consistently do 9000 to 11000 steps but I know I'm not doing enough.

I simply don't get much time. Very early starts and unable to exercise at home when 9 yo son is awake. Concept 2 rower remains folded away. I'm only starting with my excuses BTW.

Overall I'm healthy but if I don't make a change with exercise levels soon it'll change. I need more CV and strength exercises. I also need to work on my balance too. Got other issues which stop me doing that but I'm not going into that.

Oh and I've got a stinker of a cold. But I'll stop my grumble there, shoulder still painful, ok last grumble,!

Seriously I feel OK health wise and I know getting to be more active will help a lot.

Knackers yard for you ! :whistle::laugh:👅

60, 5ft 5 ( short arse) but 11st 10 at the moment so supposedly a right lard arse. However my smart scales tell me I am 15% fat,80% muscle. My Garmin tells me I have the VO2 max of a 20year old so am happy with that.
1663856028226.png

At 43 in a bad motorcycle accident left with a rebuilt shoulder, was told I would have arthritis in my shoulder joint by 50 but I seem to be doing ok.
After springing my back and being hardly able to walk at 50, chasing 2 people up a mountain in switzerland on a MTB, a scan revealed 5 thinned discs in my spine.So no more heavy lifting for me. I tend to "spring" my back ( catch a nerve) a couple of times a year. Presently did it again last saturday starting a petrol lawnmower. So just sitting on a turbo at the moment can't cycle in the real world till thats sorted itself out.
Oh diagnosed with high blood pressure 5 rs ago but Ramapril seems to keep it in check.

Mart44

Über Member
I'm 78. Always fit and energetic and was an off-road rider up until the age of 72. Unfortunately, my off-road riding partner had to give it up and riding on my own wasn't the same, so I stopped too. I got an e-bike shortly after and have been riding this only on roads and paths until 6 months ago. I then had to stop cycling altogether due to developing an Inguinal Hernia (not because of cycling). It got quite painful riding or walking a mile or two.

I had this hernia, plus an umbilical hernia, repaired almost 6 weeks ago. The pain of the cuts has subsided and the time recommended for taking it easy is nearly up. My good walking pace has more or less returned. Has anyone else ridden after an Inguinal Hernia repair? If so, how long did it take to feel comfortable riding? ..or is it time to give up cycling altogether?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I'm 78. Always fit and energetic and was an off-road rider up until the age of 72. Unfortunately, my off-road riding partner had to give it up and riding on my own wasn't the same, so I stopped too. I got an e-bike shortly after and have been riding this only on roads and paths until 6 months ago. I then had to stop cycling altogether due to developing an Inguinal Hernia (not because of cycling). It got quite painful riding or walking a mile or two.

I had this hernia, plus an umbilical hernia, repaired almost 6 weeks ago. The pain of the cuts has subsided and the time recommended for taking it easy is nearly up. My good wProbably alking pace has more or less returned. Has anyone else ridden after an Inguinal Hernia repair? If so, how long did it take to feel comfortable riding? ..or is it time to give up cycling altogether?

Yes I had IA repair. My recovery was slower than yours - it was 6 weeks before I felt able to get in the swimming pool.

Probably 3 months before I felt able to get back on the bike.

The game changer for me was getting some movement in that area. Some light ab work in the gym really helped (against all advice and common sense) I guess I was holding tension in that area.

Mart44

Über Member
Thanks kingrollo - That's useful information. I'm just coming up to the 6 weeks and feeling as if I could get on my bike. I don't want to undo any of the good work though (mesh repair), so probably will go by your experience and wait a while longer. Still getting the odd twinge from the repair area but nothing much.

The last time I rode the e-bike was after a morning's work at the allotment. I was OK until I swung my leg over the saddle. Then the pain set in for an uncomfortable ride home. The frame of the bike is possibly a bit bigger than is should be for a person of my size and wonder if I shoud sell it and get a step-though one.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Thanks kingrollo - That's useful information. I'm just coming up to the 6 weeks and feeling as if I could get on my bike. I don't want to undo any of the good work though (mesh repair), so probably will go by your experience and wait a while longer. Still getting the odd twinge from the repair area but nothing much.

The last time I rode the e-bike was after a morning's work at the allotment. I was OK until I swung my leg over the saddle. Then the pain set in for an uncomfortable ride home. The frame of the bike is possibly a bit bigger than is should be for a person of my size and wonder if I shoud sell it and get a step-though one.

if you read around recovery times vary massively for this surgery - some people are like two days ! - I was slightly longer than average .

I'd get on a static gym bike as a tester for the ebike. But best to err on the side of caution as a repair of a repair has a lot lower success rate than the first repair.

My anxiety kicked in a couple of times resulting in further ultrasound scans - but all good - still get the odd twinge almost 10 years later but nothing major.

Last edited:
Top Bottom