General maintenance before work!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Full pre ride check every day, and if the bike has been left unattended during the day a quick ABC pre ride check.

Its a lesson written in the blood of the less careful, like the lady copper in Brum who suffered serous back injuries because someone thought it would be funny to slacken her seat clamp...

When I was in high school, about 30% of the kids rode a bike in and we had a huge rack area at the side of the school.

There were a few incidents of people being "pranked". Harmless stuff like loosening brake cable pinch bolts or letting down tyres.

You'd see everybody rush out at home time and frantically check everything in the shortest possible time so as to not get caught in the crush that was the school gate.

It doesn't take long to do a quick safety check.

I don't check as diligently as I should in the morning but I would hope I would notice a flat tyre, brake not working or loose wheel before I reach the main road. If there is a problem I just grab the other bike in the shed and fix the problem later.

I would say check the night before but the number of times I have found a slow puncture in the morning (usually after a wet ride the evening before where I didn't notice any kind of puncture when putting the bike away and hurrying to get in the shower).

D

Deleted member 1258

Full pre ride check every day, and if the bike has been left unattended during the day a quick ABC pre ride check.

Its a lesson written in the blood of the less careful, like the lady copper in Brum who suffered serous back injuries because someone thought it would be funny to slacken her seat clamp, or the rider in Sarfampton that ended up under a lorry when his crank snapped and he subsequently lost control.

Life is a game that I intend winning as long as possible, and if one wants to win one plays every card in the deck. It takes maybe 10 or 15 seconds a day, which is a fair exchange in my mind. Naturally, like many other things in life, those with good discipline manage this sort of thing better while those with poor discipline make excuses instead.

I've been cycling for over 50 years and I've never done regular preride checks, the bike gets checked over once a week, thats enough most of the time, the only exception has been when I've been doing an event, audax, charity ride, reliability trial or sportive, I'l give the bike I'm using the once over the day before the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom