Genesis 2016 bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
Hi there, stuck between either the CdF 20 2016 (£800) Equilibrium disc 10 2016 (£800) and Equilibrium Decade 2016 (£700). Main sticking point is price vs brake type vs tyre size using mudguards. Questions below:

1. Would there be any difference between running 25c or 28c tyres. On the Equilibrium disc 10 and decade-(max is 25c w/ mudguards, from genesis) CdF larger, for use with full mudguards on London roads for commuting?

2. Further to the above, would I see a difference between rim brakes (those on the decade) or discs like TRP spyres, again London road commute - thinking of wet weather as well?

3. For those with latest CdF especially, how is the steel fork on road riding?

4. How long lasting are the steel frames and paintwork compared to aluminium?

Thanks. Am going to pop into London Bicycle Workshop to look at them in the flesh and get a better judgement.

OP
OP
T

totem

Not yet, going to see them either today or tomorrow.

Only possible issue with the equilibrium is the ability to run max 25c tyres with mudguards.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4446903, member: 45"]Why would you want to go bigger than 25s?[/QUOTE]
Why would you want to go smaller than 28s? ;)

OP
OP
T

totem

Interesting. They told me "try it. Depends on the tyre. Depends on the mudguards."
Any real-world difference bewteen 25c and 28c tyres, because I would want to run it mudguards year round. Also the price of both the CdF and the Equillibrium disc 10 are £800 from what I've found.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd take a dim view of a manufacturer who ships a bike with mudguard and rack eyelets and 28c's as standard, and who witters on about "generous tyre clearances and mudguard and rear rack eyelets" in their marketing blurb, who then claims you have to change the tyres to fit mudguards. A very dim view.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I swapped 28s for 25s on my Spa Steel Audax, (because I got sick of the mudguards getting clogged up with mud, and having to let the tyres down to get the wheels off).

I didn't notice any difference.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Any real-world difference bewteen 25c and 28c tyres, because I would want to run it mudguards year round. Also the price of both the CdF and the Equillibrium disc 10 are £800 from what I've found.
I'm a big unit.

I find can run 28c*, day-to-day, with larger air chamber, at lower pressures, for a more comfortable ride and not get snakebites/pinch flats.

My mudguards, once on, stay on.

*Conti Gatorskin Hardshells or Victoria Pave Open CG

OP
OP
T

totem

Okay tyre question solved. Are your mudguards full sets, i.e. SKS or the like.

Prices being the same - overall CdF or Equillibrium Disc 10?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Okay tyre question solved. Are your mudguards full sets, i.e. SKS or the like.

Prices being the same - overall CdF or Equillibrium Disc 10?
Look at 'em both. Let your heart decide.

Unless you need the gravel bike go anywhereness of the CdeF the Equi has the better spec for the money. But I find the 2016 Equi Disc 10 paintjob a bit 'meh!'

OP
OP
T

totem

[QUOTE 4446992, member: 45"]My Equilibrium came with full guards fitted. There are no rubbing issues. Not sure what they are without looking, possibly SKS Bluemels.[/QUOTE]
Would that be the disc or on-disc version of the Equilibrium?

vickster

Legendary Member
Testride them, don't just look at them :smile:

For me, equilibrium, but I'm biased. Can't help on the tyres, I've only had 25s and now 23s on mine with SKS chromoplastic mudguards (I do find toe overlap an issue, riding a fairly small frame for my height and foot size)

Top Bottom