Genesis 2016 bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
upload_2016-9-2_17-48-37.png

But it is about to get a green and black chain fitted tomorrow, and it has mudguards now as per

upload_2016-9-2_17-49-51.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Needs green tape ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Needs green tape ;)
Oh I thought about that...

but no two greens on the bike, including the ones put on their by Genesis are actually the same!

and whilst some of us have no issue with tape not matching saddle, or vice versa, others...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4447565, member: 45"]Definitely not the best colour scheme.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I actually think it is one of the worst they ever came up with. I liked the idea of the Reynolds tribute but it is so poorly and unimaginatively done, like the intern was made to do it on a 'paint' application that they didn't know how to use.

One day it will get repainted. British Racing Green most likely, with a touch of pearlescent aubergine on the fork and rear triangle.

OP - My two-penneth, based on 5,500miles of riding my Eq10 Disc and a short test ride on a CdF 30:

1. Would there be any difference between running 25c or 28c tyres. On the Equilibrium disc 10 and decade-(max is 25c w/ mudguards, from genesis) CdF larger, for use with full mudguards on London roads for commuting?

2. Further to the above, would I see a difference between rim brakes (those on the decade) or discs like TRP spyres, again London road commute - thinking of wet weather as well?

3. For those with latest CdF especially, how is the steel fork on road riding?

4. How long lasting are the steel frames and paintwork compared to aluminium?

Thanks. Am going to pop into London Bicycle Workshop to look at them in the flesh and get a better judgement.

1. I run 25mm on my Eq 10 Disc (currently Schwalbe Duranos, previously stock Contis) and 28mm on my Boardman CX (Conti 4 Seasons). For me the difference in performance and comfort is negligible between 25 and 28. In winter I swap my CX 28s for some Marathon 35mm - there is a big difference in comfort (better) and performance (slower) with this. These are the same size as the stock tyres on the CdF range, so if sturdiness and comfort is more important to you than speed then the CdF may be the way to go. That said, I have cycled through London on my 25mm-shod Eq 10 a few times and found that plenty sturdy and comfortable enough for me.
I can't help with the mudguard question as I don't have them on my Genesis.

2. I find the TRP Spyres very good in all weathers. Plus they are easy to set up and adjust. Rim brakes are fine in the dry, but discs are noticeably better (if noisier!) in the wet.

3. Can't help here.

4. The paintwork is a little delicate on my Eq compared to my aluminium CX; that said, I've only actually chipped it on the occasion when I was daft enough to knock a pair of secateurs off a shelf above it in the shed. The steel frame seems excellent to me.

+1 for the test ride suggestions. The Equilibrium and CdF, although similar to look at, are quite different bikes to ride and I think a test will answer your questions far better than we can.

Happy shopping!

Andy

Last edited:
Top Bottom