Genesis: anyone ride?

Goldie

Über Member
A few weeks ago, when I was thinking about road bikes, I found myself looking at a couple of Genesis bikes in Harry Hall's. I don't know if I exctly like them, but I keep going back for a look. Anyone own one or ridden one? Are they any cop?
 

RedBike

New Member
Location
Beside the road
They're a re-brand of Ridgeback.

They seem heavy and some of the parts are relatively low end for the money. However, I have to say i love mine and they seem very well screwed together.
 

GrasB

Veteran
Location
Nr Cambridge
Well the Croix De Fer felt like a very nice bike & would be my choice for a disc braked CX bike.

RB, they can't all be a re-brand because ridgeback don't produce frames in the materials & the geom of some of their bikes others could be close though.
 

RedBike

New Member
Location
Beside the road
GrasB said:
Well the Croix De Fer felt like a very nice bike & would be my choice for a disc braked CX bike.

RB, they can't all be a re-brand because ridgeback don't produce frames in the materials & the geom of some of their bikes others could be close though.
Perhaps re-brand isn't the right word. A division of the same company?

My Ridgeback bike came with Genesis logod parts on it new. Some of the Genesis and Ridgeback frames were exactly the same bar the colouring.
 

MajorMantra

Well-Known Member
Location
Edinburgh
I have two Genesis bikes, a fixed gear Flyer (2007) and a SS iO (2009, just bought) and I also used to own a Ridgeback. I guess you could say I'm a fan. :biggrin:

Both of the Genesis bikes have Reynolds 520 frames and are very pretty to look at. Kit-wise they are middling but in general the Genesis range come with decent bits, if nothing very flash. You might do better on a pound by pound basis with a Boardman or something but the Genesis bikes have a pleasing non-nonsense 'sortedness' to them, if I can invent a word.
 

GrasB

Veteran
Location
Nr Cambridge
RedBike said:
Perhaps re-brand isn't the right word. A division of the same company?

My Ridgeback bike came with Genesis logod parts on it new. Some of the Genesis and Ridgeback frames were exactly the same bar the colouring.
May well be, it'd also explain why most Genesis dealers I found are also Ridgeback dealers (though a ridgeback dealer doesn't mean a Gensis dealer). After a quick gander at their sites I noticed that some of the bikes did look very similar where as Genesis have others that aren't in the same ball park geom. wise.
 

MajorMantra

Well-Known Member
Location
Edinburgh
GrasB said:
May well be, it'd also explain why most Genesis dealers I found are also Ridgeback dealers (though a ridgeback dealer doesn't mean a Gensis dealer). After a quick gander at their sites I noticed that some of the bikes did look very similar where as Genesis have others that aren't in the same ball park geom. wise.
Genesis started out as a line of bikes in the Ridgeback range and was then split off into a sort of 'boutique' brand.

I had a "Ridgeback Genesis Day 01" from about '06 when they were still one brand. Just to confuse matters there's now a Genesis Day One which is a totally different bike. :smile:
 

threshold

Well-Known Member
Location
Birmingham
My Aether is both the first new and road bike I've ever had, so, coming off a much modified MTB hack, it would be bound to feel like a Ferrari compared to a Lada.
However, it does handle brilliantly, accelerates like a cat thats just sat in battery acid, seems quite robust to the vagaries of roads that appear to be clones of a wartime Iraqui airfield, and despite being a compact, manages to get me up some difficult climbs ( 18% in very short stretches) much against my aged legs' complaints.
All in all, the best fitness/fun/transport purchase I've ever made!
 

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Location
Auld Reekie
RedBike said:
They're a re-brand of Ridgeback.

They seem heavy and some of the parts are relatively low end for the money. However, I have to say i love mine and they seem very well screwed together.
That is not the impression I got of the Croix De Fer, it is relativity light (for steel) and the drive train is Shimano 105!
 
Top Bottom