Genesis Croix de Fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not wanting to hijack the thread :biggrin: But I am looking at going the other way I have a SRAM rear derailleur and SRAM 11-32 on my new CX Can I bolt on a 105 5700 12-28 or even a 11-25? Without Chain or derailleur changes?

Ben are you coming form a MB to a Road/CX for the first time? If you are I would seriously give it time, use the inner front more and get used to the closer ratios. Reality is spin more change gears more often.

The problem I am having is ridden 3500 miles on a road bike 12-28 moving between the gears changing at 90-95 spin it drops to high eighties so getting the spin back up (and increasing the speed) is fairly easy, on the 11-32 when I change gear it drops too far and takes a lot more effort to get the spin and speed up. Just a thought, but certainly it will be a completely different riding style between a MB and Road bike.

Just wondered if you are Mountain Biking your Road bike, as I am road biking my CX :biggrin: Main reason for the CX for me was alu frame, mudguards cheaper group for winter riding and the most important Disc Brakes.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Ben are you coming form a MB to a Road/CX for the first time? If you are I would seriously give it time, use the inner front more and get used to the closer ratios. Reality is spin more change gears more often.

I've got no problem with changing more often and spinning, but I don't have the legs to make it up some steep hills even on the lowest gear.

My commute is no bother with the existing gears, but where I live it's very lumpy (Epsom Downs, Reigate, Headley) and I simply need a lower gear to make it up.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
LOCO I would think you'll need to shorten your chain a little if downsizing your cassette. I usually wrap it round the big chainring and largest cassette cog without going through the derailleur, then bring the 2 ends together and have a one chain link overlap. The put it through the derailleur and join.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
OK, it's done.
I did a 1-link overlap, as above, and screwed the rear mech adjuster all the way in so it would clear the largest sprocket.

As it happens, it will go into both big-big and small-small without anything crunching or hitting anything, but I will try and make sure I don't use those combinations as it must be right on the edge of what the mech can take.

Cycled in on it today, but I don't have a hill steep enough on my commute to test it out properly.

jonathanw

OK, it's done.
I did a 1-link overlap, as above, and screwed the rear mech adjuster all the way in so it would clear the largest sprocket.

As it happens, it will go into both big-big and small-small without anything crunching or hitting anything, but I will try and make sure I don't use those combinations as it must be right on the edge of what the mech can take.

Cycled in on it today, but I don't have a hill steep enough on my commute to test it out properly.

Boy am I glad it worked. I don't think I could handle the responsibility. I hope the satisfaction of doing the work yourself is almost as good as it will be going uphill with that 32 on the back.........enjoy :cycle:

jonathanw

Probably not over winter. It's too nice and shiny for the bad weather!

The Croix de Fer is the ultimate comfortable winter commuter. The muddier the better, especially on a white bike. Get that shine off.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The Croix de Fer is the ultimate comfortable winter commuter. The muddier the better, especially on a white bike. Get that shine off.

Let me keep the gloss for another year, then get another new bike after next winter!

jonathanw

Let me keep the gloss for another year, then get another new bike after next winter!

You can never have too many bikes. Think of the research and pondering that will go into the next one!

Then the C de F will be relegated to the commuter/ workhorse / old faithful.

Kind of why I have a carbon road bike, but the white one is still my favourite.

scouserinlondon

Saw somebody on CS7 last night on a CDF. He was doing a good lick on it, the added weight of discs didn't slow this particular bloke down, and he could stop well at the lights. I am tempted by a disc braked drop bar.

jonathanw

The 2012 genesis Vapour now comes with discs. Alu not steel, so lighter and nippier perhaps. Or you could go ultra light as the Planet X dirty disco carbon CX bike has BB7 mech discs....mmmmm......very nice.

The CDF is fine with schwalbe marathon racer 30mm slicks on for my commute, and extremely fast and comfortable. Sometimes I'm left behind by the roadies, but I have mudguards, a rack and often 2 panniers. Well that's my excuse anyway.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I changed from a Shimano 11/25 cassette to a 11/28 with no need to change the mech.Try it before getting a new chain, may be ok with existing chain especially if you avoid the big ring /big gear combination which you shouldnt be using anyway.

Agree with the idea of dont do anything yet as you may just get used to it.

How did you find the brakes?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Saw somebody on CS7 last night on a CDF. He was doing a good lick on it, the added weight of discs didn't slow this particular bloke down, and he could stop well at the lights. I am tempted by a disc braked drop bar.

Sometimes I'm left behind by the roadies, but I have mudguards, a rack and often 2 panniers. Well that's my excuse anyway.

Unless you're a top athlete, and every gramme counts, there really won't be a significant difference between discs and rim brakes.

Top Bottom