Genesis datum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know if I will be able to run a cx chainset on the datum, as I don't like the 50 and don't want to run a triple.

Also can the inner chainring on a cx c/set be changed to 32 from 36?

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I've been trying to find more comments (two bikes I fancy have these wheels) on the hubs but have drawn a blank. However, as far as I can see they were introduced not too long ago and are now no longer available!

Strange though that Genesis, Ridley and Rose (amongst others) all of whom are decent manufacturers use them. presumably they test the things - but maybe not?
Most likely that this particular model of wheel was withdrawn due to the issues & bad publicity created, Fulcrum is a Campagnolo brand & they won't want the negative publicity.

outlash

also available in orange
Most likely that this particular model of wheel was withdrawn due to the issues & bad publicity created, Fulcrum is a Campagnolo brand & they won't want the negative publicity.

Or, they're an OEM wheelset made by Fulcrum made to a price point for bike companies. A mate has a set on his Ridley and they've taken a bit of punishment so far without any issues.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
I spoke to a guy in caton today had a datum, loved it and didn't stop raving about how good it was. Looked pretty nice in the flesh, T'was blue. Really nice looking bike. Wheelbase used one in the Lakeland monster adventure x ride along with a focus and said it performed faultless.
Must say my day one disc still looks in first class condition a year on and the paint seems much tougher than the Whyte MTB I just bought that chips as soon as it looks at a stone.
Hhmmmmm begs the question why I didn't just buy another Genesis......Whyte MTB anyone ?????:laugh::laugh:

Boon 51

Veteran
The Datum 30 or the Jamis Renegade Elite are my choices for my next bike so how do the sizes on the Datum's stand, is a 54 cm a 54cm.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
The Datum 30 or the Jamis Renegade Elite are my choices for my next bike so how do the sizes on the Datum's stand, is a 54 cm a 54cm.

I'm usually a 56 and ride a 56 in the genesis bikes. FWIW I seriously think the build quality of Genesis bikes frames is very good and as I said earlier better than my new Whyte MTB. I think the Datums are a very good all round bike but no nothing of the jamis I'm afraid

Edit: oh they are an American brand. Enough said, buy the Genesis :bravo:

S-Express

Does anyone know if I will be able to run a cx chainset on the datum, as I don't like the 50 and don't want to run a triple.

Fit a 46 outer to the existing Datum chainset and hey presto - you have a CX chainset. Other chainring sizes are available.

Also can the inner chainring on a cx c/set be changed to 32 from 36?

34 is the lowest you can go on a 110bcd, so no.

S-Express

Edit: oh they are an American brand. Enough said, buy the Genesis

I have a Jamis Renegade Expert (one down from the Elite). A lot of R&D has gone into those frames - possibly more than has gone into the Genesis. But don't let that stop you from dismissing them as 'American'.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
I have a Jamis Renegade Expert (one down from the Elite). A lot of R&D has gone into those frames - possibly more than has gone into the Genesis. But don't let that stop you from dismissing them as 'American'.

It was humour. I work with Americans and generally hear them before seeing them and of course everything American is the dogs bollocks x2 but I like Genesis so that's my reason for dismissing :okay:

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs

Check out wheelbase in staveley website. Genesis datum 20 in blue with 105 2017 £2099 & the datum 30 in red, ultegra 2017 is at the same price £2099 at present. All sizes available to order. If I'd have known that when I was up there the MTB would not have been bought :okay:

I thought Jamis were Canadian and very good they are to. Given their range I almost feel they are the equivalent of Genesis.

I think they were one of the first manufacturers to offer carbon race bikes with mudguard mounts.

I still can't decide on the datum, poor wheels and a compact c/set with a silly braze on are putting me off

Top Bottom