Genesis datum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
A CDF then if not datum or new Vapour ?

I have a specific question. The 10 I have seen has a rub on the inner seat stay where the cable end has rubbed off some paintwork. Its the way they are and from the pictures all the cabling on the 10s is the same way. Are there likely to be anymore issues - is it worth the risk?

thanks

BlueDog

Veteran
Hi samsbike, I just looked at mine and all is OK. The gear cable exits at around 30 degrees, so I guess you are referring to the break cable which comes out at a smaller angle and I guess this could rub, although it hasn't on mine after 1,500 miles or so. Even if it does, I don't think it would be anything to worry about - certainly not enought to put you off buying a great bike:rolleyes:.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
I have a specific question. The 10 I have seen has a rub on the inner seat stay where the cable end has rubbed off some paintwork. Its the way they are and from the pictures all the cabling on the 10s is the same way. Are there likely to be anymore issues - is it worth the risk?

thanks

Frame protection patches, heli tape, shelter tape, all good for rub points

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Hi samsbike, I just looked at mine and all is OK. The gear cable exits at around 30 degrees, so I guess you are referring to the break cable which comes out at a smaller angle and I guess this could rub, although it hasn't on mine after 1,500 miles or so. Even if it does, I don't think it would be anything to worry about - certainly not enought to put you off buying a great bike:rolleyes:.

How you finding the bike @BlueDog ?
Reported elsewhere I bought an MTB but thinking more I should have got a datum or CDF

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How do the carbon frames fair up in British winters, salt on roads etc ?

I don't have a carbon bike, but the material should be impervious to weather.

Aluminium oxidises, forming a fine coating, but it won't 'rust through' in normal use.

Steel could rust through, but the number of vintage steel bikes still on the roads tells you it will last for years and years with a bit of care.

In other words, weathering of frame material is irrelevant when choosing a bike, but of course there are other reasons for choosing one material or another.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
I don't have a carbon bike, but the material should be impervious to weather.

Aluminium oxidises, forming a fine coating, but it won't 'rust through' in normal use.

Steel could rust through, but the number of vintage steel bikes still on the roads tells you it will last for years and years with a bit of care.

In other words, weathering of frame material is irrelevant when choosing a bike, but of course there are other reasons for choosing one material or another.

I ask I have always wondered why carbon bikes are called 'best' bikes and packed away for winter at the first hint of salt when in fact if looked after it shouldn't be a problem.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I ask I have always wondered why carbon bikes are called 'best' bikes and packed away for winter at the first hint of salt when in fact if looked after it shouldn't be a problem.

I guess it's partly a perception thing, which I also suffer from.

A carbon bike frame is probably stronger than a steel one, but I can't shake the notion they are somehow flimsy.

I mean, crash into a pothole with a carbon fork and it's bound to snap, isn't it?

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
I guess it's partly a perception thing, which I also suffer from.

A carbon bike frame is probably stronger than a steel one, but I can't shake the notion they are somehow flimsy.

I mean, crash into a pothole with a carbon fork and it's bound to snap, isn't it?

If it were then there would be hundreds upon thousands of snapped carbon forks out there as majority of bikes are carbon bladed......right ? :smile:

Top Bottom