Genesis Day One Alfine 8 on C2W scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buzzinonbikes

All hydraulic brakes now including rim brakes.

yoffy

Thinking of getting this on next years cycle to work scheme - anybody got one? tried one? any reviews on how it performs?

View attachment 34008

Yes I've got one - bought it on this year's C2W and had it about 4 weeks. I've done around 300 miles on it and so far it's been faultless. The gearing's quite low (1st gear is about 29 gear inches) and you're pretty much spinning out over 20mph. I've noticed I spend the vast majority of my time in the top 3 gears so may swap the 20t rear for an 18t to give a bit more at the top end. I've fitted rack and full mudguards and swapped the stock continental sports contact tyres for schwalbe marathon plus to make it pretty much bombproof. Word of warning - the mudguard clearance at the front is pretty tight and I found I couldn't fit anything bigger than a 32mm tyre. What else to say ? Well, it's a nice pale metallic blue (you can't really tell that from the pictures) and has a nice retro look to it. Oh yes - I found the stock saddle really uncomfortable and swapped it out for a brooks. I use it for commuting and so far so good - I'm very happy with the purchase.

dodgy

I have one, too, also on this year's C2W scheme. It was supplied by Cyclesolutions (AKA wheelies direct I think) and it was discounted to £899, which is unusual on a C2W scheme, subtract the tax and it would've been stupid to say no.

Anyway, first ride out was yesterday, I was completely taken aback by its relevant performance to my existing bikes. I had kind of set my expectations on it being slow, boring etc, but in fact it was roughly the same speed as my existing Lynskey Ti Sportive with 25mm tyres on (the Day One has 32mm). It's a heavy bike, but it doesn't seem to manifest as inferior performance! I put mudguards on mine, acres of clearance, Madison sent me some extension bolts with pillars to provide clearance for the callipers, but I ended up using some thick hard rubber washers instead. Was pretty straight forward to fit.

The rear mudguard required a little ingenuity to fit, SKS don't provide a bracket to convert the vertical drilling to a horizontal, so I just used a strip of metal that came with the SKS longboards and bent it at a right angle, very easy. You could also just drill a hole in the mudguard and put a screw up into the drilling.

Just noticed that @yoffy finds the front mudguard clearance tight, that's not my experience, strange. Mine are Longboard Mudguard Set Silver 700 x 28-37 mm

I reckon with a 20t rear sprocket (40 on the front) it's a little undergeared, so I'm going to change that to an 18t. It's a pretty cheap job, about £7 for the sprocket. My biggest piece of advice is to practice removing the rear wheel, do it over and over again at least 10 times. In the 10th time you'll be able to do it blindfold, don't leave your first experiencing of doing it on the roadside in the rain :smile:

I went out yesterday and did 30 miles, with the last 10 on a filthy muddy bridleway, the chain still looks like a new pin. That's one of the advantages of having the chain line a precious few extra CM higher, out of the way of splashes. I think this bike is going to be very cheap to maintain.

Finally, a picture.

IMG_0215.jpg

Berties

Fast and careful!
I love the genesis range,had a look at the day one putting it through the books ,but weakened to the croix de fer paying cash getting it for a grand ,and put a set of 28 hard shells on it for the road,great winter ride
:bicycle:

headcoat

Über Member
I have been considering this bike for a few months now and appreciate the comments here.

I am assuming you have the 2014 model, how are you guys finding the location of the gear shift, being at the end of the bars?

dodgy

I have been considering this bike for a few months now and appreciate the comments here.

I am assuming you have the 2014 model, how are you guys finding the location of the gear shift, being at the end of the bars?

The bars are a low drop, so it's not far to reach at all. Comes quite natural really, I was worried it would be a faff, but it's fine.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well yes, a friend is doing it, he has a family, a job, other commitments :smile: In the meantime I am getting a better deal on some of the components, especially good with Wiggle's free 365 day returns

yoffy

The first time I've used a bar end shifter and, like dodgy, it's quickly become second nature. Prior to purchasing, I'd read some horror stories about removing the rear wheel. I have to say, I find it extremely easy and really don't know what all the fuss is about. Remember to carry a 15mm spanner to tighten up the nuts and some needle nose pliers to remove the gear cable from it's housing. This video shows the process :

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEXjpXtw4g

dodgy

I think they could definitely make the cable easier to unseat from the housing, I find that a pain even in the comfort of my warm garage!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have one, too, also on this year's C2W scheme. It was supplied by Cyclesolutions (AKA wheelies direct I think) and it was discounted to £899, which is unusual on a C2W scheme, subtract the tax and it would've been stupid to say no.

Thanks for the review. My employer is starting the C2W again next month through the same scheme as yours, so hopefully it'll still be £899 before savings ^_^
Been hoping to get to see one & possibly test ride, but no one anywhere near here has one in stock, so I'm just going to have to take a chance. SWMBO will be happy, I'm supposed to be reducing the number of bikes ready for our hopeful house move :whistle:

Top Bottom