Genesis Day One Alfine 8 on C2W scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well I ordered one & it arrived last Saturday, did a 66mile sportive on it Sunday & 64 miles in commutes so far this week & love it. As to be expected with a 8 speed hub, there are 1 or 2 biggish jumps between gears, but I can live with that. Considering its quite heavy with having the hub gear it moves along quite well & you don't really feel the weight, although its very flat round here, so the weight may be more noticeable in a hilly area. What I thought was a really nice touch was a small bottle of touch up paint with the owners pack :thumbsup: Why can't all decent bikes come with a bit of touch up paint? Heaven knows my other bikes could do with some :blush:
For those owners who have fitted mudguards, how easy is it to remove rear wheel with guards fitted? Does the guard need unbolting first?

dodgy

For those owners who have fitted mudguards, how easy is it to remove rear wheel with guards fitted? Does the guard need unbolting first?

Like I think I mentioned further up the thread, install SKS SecuClips on the rear mudguard as well as the front, that effectively makes your mudguards quick release.

Holio cornolio

Is there a reason why you couldn't swap out the spindle and put quick release skewers on the alfine hub?
Having a grown up bike without quick release is like having sausages without chips..... in my mind

Holio cornolio

This thread is really not helping me in my decision making process. I'd ruled out the d1a, but having heard Soltydog say it had been used on a 66 mile sportive, it's back in the frame again. Even though it doesn't come with chips..

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'd ruled out the d1a, but having heard Soltydog say it had been used on a 66 mile sportive, it's back in the frame again.
I must point out that the sportive probably had less climbing than any other :thumbsup: I dont want to be blamed if you buy it & find its not for you ^_^ but I love it, got it last Saturday & done almost 200 miles on it now, but I've not cleaned it or anything yet :sad: Obviously my OCD isnt as bad as I thought :laugh:

Holio cornolio

I won't hold you responsible. It's not very hilly where I am in Essex, and the bike is going to be used 95% of the time for duties which aren't very taxing and don't require speed, BUT... I don't want a(nother) bike that's utterly incapable of a turn of speed, otherwise I'd buy another mountain bike :-)
Every now and then I will be using it to do the 120 mile round trip to the office (just for fun like) so it has to be all day comfy too and low maintenance. I think I;ve convinced myself that this is the one.... today at least.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Commuting on my road bike last week I averaged 18.5mph & similar conditions this week on my d1a I managed 17.4mph so it's capable of reasonable pace :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is there a reason why you couldn't swap out the spindle and put quick release skewers on the alfine hub?
Having a grown up bike without quick release is like having sausages without chips..... in my mind

Can't be done because a solid axle is part of the hub.

It is critical for the lipped washer - slate blue in this pic - to be located and bolted firmly into its recess on the frame.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HUSHALF135SI/shimano-alfine-8-spd-disk-hub---135mm

Holio cornolio

Understood

Cope

I took one of these (the 2014 model) out for a quick spin from the LBS today. Very impressed. Does everything I expected, very well. I didn't get a chance to take it up any serious hills though, and the standard tyres look rather road-oriented. This is on my shortlist of two, now, I think.

John_S

Über Member
Hi Cope,

Following my message in your post about the Dolan CDX vs. the Genesis Day One Alfine 8 (2014) ( http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dolan-cdx-vs-genesis-day-one-alfine-8.171284/ ) I also read through this thread following your post.

One thing that came up a few times was mudguards and I just thought I'd mention the ones that were fitted to the Day One Alfine 8 that I used. They were the Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders which are 45mm wide and designed to take tyres up to 38 and although I don't know how they get on with lots of different tyres they were absolutely fine with the standard Continental tyres that came with the bike.

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/full-metal-fenders-city

If you're buying the PDW Full Metal Fenders you just need to be careful not to get the narrower version

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/full-metal-fenders-road

I don't know how easy these were to fit because I was borrowing the bike from a friend to try a hub geared bike on my commute but they didn't mention any problems. However at the front they had connected the mudguards to the eyelets half way up the front forks that should be used for a front rack and so I guess that there were some issues/problems with fitting them taking into consideration the front brake disc.

Also from memory I think that they had to get a disc specific rack because if problems due to where the rear disc brake was fitted. From memory I think that the disc is perhaps fitted to the chainstay instead of the seat stay which made fitting a normal rack difficult.

Hope that some of this helps and good luck picking the right bike for you.

John

Cope

Thanks John - very useful info indeed. I'm not sure if I will go with mudguards and rack. Historically I have, and I don't like riding with a bag on my back, so if I have to carry stuff I'd probably appreciate a rack. However there's something rather pleasing about the minimalism of no rack and no mudguards. Although in the wet/cold that might also become uncomfortable on my way into work.

Top Bottom