Genesis Equilibrium 20 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like genesis bikes, very rarely do you see a dummy

jessand

Veteran
I can't believe their prices £2k for a 725 disc. Perhaps due to the £ vs Taiwan euro??;)
Hope the paint is a lot stronger than it used to be - especially at that price.

Nebulous

Guru
Last year's one still available in limited stock for under £1200.

Through axles are about the only difference, and I like the old paint job better.

I've just 'accidentally' bought one. I've been looking for an audax / endurance bike, but not been willing to spend the money. Fear of being left behind if they sell out and a £350 jump at retail over last year has been enough to force my hand.

Nebulous

Guru
Well I've been holding off posting until it arrived in case I jinxed it. I've got a new favourite bike shop in ukbikesdepot.com

My bike has just arrived and I've got the one featured at the top of the page, the 2018 one for the 2017 sale price! Best cycling deal I've ever had.

I ordered the last medium 2017 and a few days later I received an email saying they couldn't find it, would I like the 2018 model instead? The 2018 wasn't in stock and there would be a delay, but they were willing to swap my order over. Of course I jumped at it! It finally arrived yesterday and I spent yesterday evening setting it up, I'm hoping to get out today.

One worry I had was the sizing. I'm 5'10" shorter in the legs with a longer back. I usually ride a 54 / 55 frame. Genesis have moved from 6 or so sizes denominated in cms to 5 named XS, S, M, L XL. Medium sits right in the middle, but on the charts it has a 32" standover height. I'd be very tight with that and was slightly concerned that I'd struggle at every traffic light. I don't know if the chart is wrong or I've taken a middle-age growth spurt, but I'm fine for standing over the bar.

Nebulous

Guru

There was another thread about them. Last year's models in blue were selling for about £850, but I think there is very little if any stock left. I've wondered about discs, but my rim-braked bike was a bit of an annoyance for long distances last year, so it will be interesting to see how reliable hydraulic discs and full-length mudguards are.

D

Deleted member 1258

Well I've been holding off posting until it arrived in case I jinxed it. I've got a new favourite bike shop in ukbikesdepot.com

My bike has just arrived and I've got the one featured at the top of the page, the 2018 one for the 2017 sale price! Best cycling deal I've ever had.

I ordered the last medium 2017 and a few days later I received an email saying they couldn't find it, would I like the 2018 model instead? The 2018 wasn't in stock and there would be a delay, but they were willing to swap my order over. Of course I jumped at it! It finally arrived yesterday and I spent yesterday evening setting it up, I'm hoping to get out today.

One worry I had was the sizing. I'm 5'10" shorter in the legs with a longer back. I usually ride a 54 / 55 frame. Genesis have moved from 6 or so sizes denominated in cms to 5 named XS, S, M, L XL. Medium sits right in the middle, but on the charts it has a 32" standover height. I'd be very tight with that and was slightly concerned that I'd struggle at every traffic light. I don't know if the chart is wrong or I've taken a middle-age growth spurt, but I'm fine for standing over the bar.

I have a 2015 Flyer, thats a 49 seat tube with a 53.5 top tube and a yard of seat post showing, it fits me well. With their current sizing I'd have to either go long on the top tube and fit a shorter stem or short on the top tube and show a couple of yards of seat post.

D

Deleted member 1258

There was another thread about them. Last year's models in blue were selling for about £850, but I think there is very little if any stock left. I've wondered about discs, but my rim-braked bike was a bit of an annoyance for long distances last year, so it will be interesting to see how reliable hydraulic discs and full-length mudguards are.

Yes I remember that thread, I'm not sure I would need the extra bite of the disc brake, I'm only leisure riding these days, mostly on quiet lanes, if I was still commuting disc's would be something I'd want to look into.

Boon 51

Veteran

So how has the sizing gone is it on the large side or just about right for a medium.

Nebulous

Guru
So how has the sizing gone is it on the large side or just about right for a medium.

I still haven't done very much on it. I've been tootering about getting pedals and fitting mudguards. However I just don't think the sizing chart is right. According to the chart standover height at 815mm is 4 cm more than on my tarmac. Genesis quotes standover height as the most important figure in deciding size. I'm not showing a great deal of seatpost, but so far it certainly feels like it fits better and is more comfortable than my tarmac. That was the intention, I wanted something more comfortable for audaxes and long distances.

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm thinking of a Pinnicle Dolmite 6 or the Equalibrium 20 but favouring the 20.. I did look at the web site from bikesport and they still list a medium so when I ring them it will be interesting to see what they say ?
PS Very good prices..
PPS.. they are still external cables are they?

Nebulous

Guru
I'm thinking of a Pinnicle Dolmite 6 or the Equalibrium 20 but favouring the 20.. I did look at the web site from bikesport and they still list a medium so when I ring them it will be interesting to see what they say ?
PS Very good prices..
PPS.. they are still external cables are they?

Are you looking at last year's model? There are some differences - but not enough for me to justify the new price by comparison with last year's discounted price.

Yes they are external cables, except for the hydraulic tube for the front brake, which runs through the carbon front fork. I like the brass barrel adjusters, they suit the bike.

Top Bottom