Genesis Flyer or Surly Steamroller?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well?

Surly looks much nicer IMO but,
the Flyer rides nicer, is lighter, cheaper and has a longer HT and chainline adjusters which I like.

So what to do?

Could someone also tell me what the significance of the 'BB Drop' is? Shorter the drop, higher the BB right?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
Well?

Surly looks much nicer IMO but,
the Flyer rides nicer, is lighter, cheaper and has a longer HT and chainline adjusters which I like.

So what to do?

Could someone also tell me what the significance of the 'BB Drop' is? Shorter the drop, higher the BB right?

BB drop is another way of looking at the height of the BB (BB relative to the centre of the wheel). So yes, the shorter the drop, the higher the BB. Track bikes have a shorter BB drop (ie the bottom bracket is higher) than say, touring bikes as this minimises pedal strike and meets velodrome regs.

kyuss

Veteran
I'd have a Steamroller over a Flyer I think just because it would suit the majority of riding I do. The slightly heavier more durable frame is better suited to blasting round potholed city streets and getting chained up all over town, but I guess if your riding is more longer distance fitness rides then the Flyer might be the better bet.

Carlito

im also looking at the Surly Steamroller - my commute includes a quite a steep hill up to Hampstead so I am trying to work out which bike is best

rootes

how about a genesis skyline?

very smart looking bike.

gn_skyline.jpg

GrahamG

Guru
I think the Genesis bikes look great - if I was going off-the-peg it'd be between a Genesis or a Pearson. Please note that I'm a boring "won't buy a bike that won't take mudguards" kind of guy.

Carlito

After deciding on the Surly i am now unable to get hold of one as all retailers appear to be out of stock on 59" until 2009 models come in! Unless anyone knows of somewhere.

Top Bottom