Genesis Flyer v Kona Band Wagon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Are you sure the stem is flipped upwards on the flyer? It's hard to see on these pics, they're really small on my iPad.

Just noticed you want to lift the flyer bars to match the cdale. You don't!

The drop on the saddle bar drop on the cdale is 1inch. The drop is 2inches on the flyer, now 1.5inches because you've lowered your saddle. You're only .5 inches lower on the flyer.

Get the saddle right, measure from the bb centre to top of saddle on both bikes and match them, again google saddle height.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Cheers djb1971, yeah both the saddle heights are bang on from the floor to top of saddle, they are also the same on the rails, sadlles must be roughly same thickness.

I had initially only moved the saddle back on the genesis to try and not see the axle when on the hoods.

I am going to take it out for a run later and I will mess about with settings.

I will see what the drop is like once I have tried riding it in new postion.

Cheers for the tips regarding pedal axles, I will go and have a look at that.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Cheers djb1971, yeah both the saddle heights are bang on from the floor to top of saddle.

Read my post above this.

You measure the saddle from the pedal axle or the bb centre to top of the saddle. Get it right or you will hurt your knees! The floor measurement was for the saddle bar drop on each bike.

Like I say there isn't much difference in the drop now but fix the saddle height before anything.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Are you sure the stem is flipped upwards on the flyer? It's hard to see on these pics, they're really small on my iPad.

Just noticed you want to lift the flyer bars to match the cdale. You don't!

The drop on the saddle bar drop on the cdale is 1inch. The drop is 2inches on the flyer, now 1.5inches because you've lowered your saddle. You're only .5 inches lower on the flyer.

Get the saddle right, measure from the bb centre to top of saddle on both bikes and match them, again google saddle height.

I am just uploading some pics the now, but yeah the bike shop flipped the stem for me.

Both my bikes have flipped stems and they are both 6 degrees but the cannondale just seems so much higher, I don't know if this is to do with frame geometry.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Read my post above this.

You measure the saddle from the pedal axle or the bb centre to top of the saddle. Get it right or you will hurt your knees! The floor measurement was for the saddle bar drop on each bike.

Like I say there isn't much difference in the drop now but fix the saddle height before anything.

Both 27 inch from bb to saddle following the seat post as guidance.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

djb1971

Legendary Member
The stem on the flyer will be higher if you flip it over by the look of it. If you know how to turn it over and preload the headset try it. It will probably match the saddle to bar difference on your other bike.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

The stem on the flyer will be higher if you flip it over by the look of it. If you know how to turn it over and preload the headset try it. It will probably match the saddle to bar difference on your other bike.

djb1971, I said to the guy in bike shop that I wanted the stem higher and he flipped it.

But I take my hat off to you, I flipped it and it is higher, I will be having a word with the LBS

Edit, not sure on preload, but there is no rocking on the fork when I pull the front brake and the bars move freely enough from side to side so hope I done it ok:laugh:

Pic to follow^_^

djb1971

Legendary Member
Good :biggrin:

It will match your cdale now. It will be higher and closer to the saddle like the cdale.

I couldn't see the pictures the other day I was in the lake district relying on Vodafone connection on my iPad.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

From this
scaled.php

To this

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Right I am happy with this, going to take it out for a quick spin to see how it feels.

Thanks again, you must be due a lot of good karma for keeping on answering my questions:laugh::banghead:

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

My plan worked!

Let me know when it hits gumtree, I'll haggle a bit though because the bars are too low :tongue:

:laugh:

I straightened out the bars so that the grip towards the hoods is horizontal, if that makes sense and all is good in the world:wahhey:

No more hunched over feeling.

Now next job......................:biggrin:

Top Bottom