Genesis Flyer v Kona Band Wagon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Most companies do a specific tool or the nuts but they are all £15 or more. Just saw a ring spanner to about 4" long and file the sawn end smooth. It oes the job perfectly. I've had all of the litte spanner gadgets and they're not up to much.

The Lezyne one has a tyre lever on it which is decent but not plastic coated, the trixie has a 4mm Allen, lockring tool, place to fit chain whip and fastens to a bottle cage mount. The others just have things like beer bottle openers, which we all need on a Sunday morning spin :rolleyes:

Dont put anything in your pockets that will skewer you! Trust me I know from experience and have scars to prove it!

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Also, I am trying to justify buying a torque wrench, would come in handy with the carbon on the road bike as well.

I started off looking at the ritchey torque key that you mentioned, I some how ended up nearly buying a Park Tool TW5 wrench, I had to close the page before buying, as I can't justify it but it looks nice and shiny:laugh:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Do a search for a sealy torque wrench. I got mine a while back for £20. They are great and take drive sockets.

Loads on eBay!

Edit it's sealey! I've changed it 3 times now thanks to auto spell!!

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Most companies do a specific tool or the nuts but they are all £15 or more. Just saw a ring spanner to about 4" long and file the sawn end smooth. It oes the job perfectly. I've had all of the litte spanner gadgets and they're not up to much.

The Lezyne one has a tyre lever on it which is decent but not plastic coated, the trixie has a 4mm Allen, lockring tool, place to fit chain whip and fastens to a bottle cage mount. The others just have things like beer bottle openers, which we all need on a Sunday morning spin :rolleyes:

Dont put anything in your pockets that will skewer you! Trust me I know from experience and have scars to prove it!

Cheers, that's my job for today, as I don't think I will be doing any cycling.

Yeah, I had a look at the chain whip one but I thought that that was gimmicky, just keep one tool for one job

Sounds painful mate:eek:

I carry a 15mm spanner with me. It's ring/open, about 6" long, pretty cheap, and not heavy at all. Fits neatly into my toolkit.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

I carry a 15mm spanner with me. It's ring/open, about 6" long, pretty cheap, and not heavy at all. Fits neatly into my toolkit.

I have found an old spanner that fits into my saddle bag, saves me some dough.

Finally got round to visiting the LBS

Got my rattly brakes sorted, drop of oil in the pivots done the trick, cheers.

Got my wheels trued and got my stem raised by 5 mm as there was an unused spacer under the cap.

All good to go, I went out and done 12 mile and it all seems good, in fact I done the same loop on my road bike two weeks ago and I was nearly a minute slower on the road bike, I was not expecting that considering I span out a few times today on the flats.

I was talking to the bike guy about maybe going from an 18 on the back to a 16 if I can cope with the hills ok but he seemed to think that the 18 will be fine on single speed and that I should go fixed with a 20.

My commute to work is mostly downhill and going home is well...mostly uphill

So does that make sense 18 single speed on the way in and 20 fixed on the way home?

djb1971

Legendary Member
I don't know what your chainring is but don't overdo it on fixed to start. Get your legs used to spinning and leg braking downhill. If you push hard on fixed on hills your knees will not thank you. I usually run a 16/17 sprocket and an 17/18 freewheel with 44t up front. I like the freewheel to be an easier option if I have a mishap on fixed!

A 20t will spin like mad if you're spinning out on 18 now if you hit a flat or downhill. At the end of the day only you know your capabilities so choose what suits you and doesn't make your knees ache!

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Thanks djb1971

I am running 46 x 18 single speed the now.

The bike guy seemed to think that running a 20 fixed up hill would give me a higher cadence and would build strength.

I think I will keep it simple and just run with the 18 on SS for the time being and give me knees time to get used to the hills.

LOL, I try to run before I can walk.

Thanks again for all your patience and I appreciate you and others answering my (daft) question:laugh::thumbsup:

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

If you haven't already, have a play with this:

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches

Put your chainring sizes in 42/44 etc.

Then your sprocket sizes 16/17/18 etc.

Itll give you a good idea of which front and rear teeth sizes you'll prefer, it can get expensive if you play with ring/sprocket sizes!

Excellent link mate, I will have a play about with that.

Last question's for today:blush:

If I did want to change my sprocket is there any special tools that I require, and where would I buy the sprockets?

Don't wan't to end up going for the wrong type, also is their a single speed chain that is highly recommended for when my current one stretches, don't mind paying a wee bit more if it is quality?

djb1971

Legendary Member
For sprockets you'll need a lockring tool and a chain whip tool, you can get tools with both on one tool!
Check the direction of the threads on the lockring and the sprocket before fitting/removing!

If you buy a freewheel don't get a cheap one that has to be dismantled to be removed, get one that needs a 4 prong tool to remove it. There are some decent sturmey archer ones on eBay from practical cycles, I prefer them to shimano. If you're feeling flush white industries do rebuildable ones.

Check to see what chain you're using when buying freewheels and sprockets! 1/8 is wider than 3/32. The 1/8 will run on 3/32 sprockets but the 3/32 won't run on 1/8 sprockets.

I'll try to find a few and post some links up

Top Bottom