Genesis Fugio 105 Road bike (2018)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sorry for the post, but I don’t know much about this bike and it looks rather fun.

I can get last years bike for just over £1200, either buying it outright or doing the cycle to work thang.
Has anyone any opinions on this?

Of late I seem to be riding longer but slower. My rather aggressively styled roadie is starting to make my back ache and I thought that this might be the answer. Not just because I fancy a new bike.
Thank you.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
https://off.road.cc/content/review/bikes/genesis-fugio-review-2880 was pretty scathing, Cycling+ slightly more optimistic https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/genesis-fugio-review/ They both tested at the original price though. For £1200, not half bad I'd suggest…but, at the same time, worth looking at alternatives. There are a lot of gravel/adventure bikes around these days, and some may suit better. Planet X, for example, have carbon & titanium framed models for similar pricing.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

Thank you.
It’s a cycle to work thing, I shall have a rethink. I like the genesis bikes. I have to go to Halfords or tredz and we have a cycle republic quite close, which obviously take the ctw thing with them being Halfords with competent people in. The Norwich branch is actually very good.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you.
It’s a cycle to work thing, I shall have a rethink. I like the genesis bikes. I have to go to Halfords or tredz and we have a cycle republic quite close, which obviously take the ctw thing with them being Halfords with competent people in. The Norwich branch is actually very good.
There are a fair number of independents which take the Halfords vouchers too, so worth checking around

Good morning,

As a grumpy old man with downtube shifters and toe clips I am really surprised to be saying this but..

The frame is pretty much bottom of the range alloy steel and you seem to be paying a premium for it.

Genesis Mjölinir chromoly steel is an own brand, snobbery aside, it seems to be pretty much the same as Reynolds 520,
the Genesis Croix de Fer 10 uses it and the Croix de Fer 20 has Reynolds 725.

I can't confirm it to be true but an article by someone who said that they worked on the Croix de Fer said that the 725 frame was a couple of hundred grammes lighter which would sort of confirm the 520 comparison.

I had a Reynolds 501 Record Sprint and enjoyed riding it but I suspect that even at the discounted price I would feel that I had paid to much for the bike.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

I really liked the look of the Croix de Fer. They were all black and, like @vickster, I am not a big fan of all black but might well book a test ride.
I will give that Fugio a miss and look elsewhere.
As much as I love my PX CX, it's short frame has given me a few issues and a few moments of hitting the deck when my foot has caught the front wheel when I've done a bit of a tight turn. It's a great bike but it's time for a change. I'd like an adventure/gravel type bike, as I like them and it gives me options when out and about. I love my roadie too. I would just like a steel bike with comfort and Genesis seem to tick the boxes and give me the 'whoo hoo' feeling when I ride one.

vickster

Legendary Member
I really liked the look of the Croix de Fer. They were all black and, like @vickster, I am not a big fan of all black but might well book a test ride.
As much as I love my PX CX, it's short frame has given me a few issues and a few moments of hitting the deck when my foot has caught the front wheel when I've done a bit of a tight turn. It's a great bike but it's time for a change. I'd like an adventure/gravel type bike, as I like them and it gives me options when out and about. I love my roadie too. I would just like a steel bike with comfort and Genesis seem to tick the boxes and give me the 'whoo hoo' feeling when I ride one.
You might need to try a lot of bikes to find one where you don’t have toe overlap esp if you ride a smallish frame on 700c wheels

Have you looked at the Genesis Eq disc? Should take reasonable tyres and mudguards

There's lots of them about now, I'd check the Pinnacle range from Evans out, my wife has the Pinnacle Arkose 2, it is an ally frame but I really think it makes no difference on bigger tyres. Well specced for the money.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Assuming the new bike is the right geometry for you: I suspect fat tyres make any bike comfortable.

Maybe forget the steel thing?

I would look at the Boardman ASR 8.9 then. 725 steel and for the sizing it has a higher headtube for a more relaxed ride. Nice looking bike too, well specced, 50/34 with an 11-32. Not too generous on the tyre sizing so that would be something to look at and might rule it out.

19777-15477-BI_ASR_8.9_Drive.jpg

Top Bottom