Genesis releases 2021 Croix De Fer range (and others)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
While researching my CdF purchase earlier in the year I became a proper spec nerd, and while I'm very happy with mine and have neither the inclination nor funds to chop it in for a new one, I'm always interested in how the marque evolves and so if anyone's interested below is a broad-strokes summary of the new range and how they differ from last year's models.

Sorry I won't be including the entry-level Croix De Fer 10 or top-end Ti models as I didn't research these last time and can't be arsed to do it all now for the sake of one post!

I guess the big over-arching change is that the steel range has been expanded, from last year's 10, 20 and 30-suffix models to include new 40 and 50 designated variants that now represent the top of the ferrous-framed lineup. I've not picked through the numbers on cursory inspection it seems that geometry figures remain unchanged from last year (as they have done since around 2015 IIRC).

Croix De Fer 20

Frame
The frame is the same Reynolds 725 tubing as last year's model and retains the traditional quick release wheel format, however tyre clearance has been increased from the previous 37mm to 42mm on the 700c rims, and 650b compatability is now advertised with room for 45mm tyres. It also appears that the frame and fork have sprouted many new mounting points for periperhals and water bottles, with it seems five bottle mounts on the down tube, three on the seat tube , two brand new ones on the top tube and a host on the fork for racks and the like.

The Genesis site states that the 20 now has "flat mount discs" however looking at the pics it seems that the frame does, in fact have the same IS-mount calipers as last year's model, which is a bit crap :sad:

As per last year the 20 is available in two different colour schemes.

Groupset
Last year's full-Tiagra groupset has been largely replaced / supplemented by Shimano's gravel-specific GRX components, with the crankset and derailleurs appearently coming from the entry-point 400 series and giving a new lower range with the 46-30 chain rings versus Tiagra's more road-centric 50-34 compact. The cassette remains the same 10sp 11-34 HG unit while the Tiagra shifters and TRP Spyre-C mechanical disc brakes are retained from last year.

Price
The RRP is £1499; a hundred quid more than the outgoing model but you arguably get quite a lot more for your money.

Personally I think the new blue colour scheme is the best looking of all the new models :becool:
ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21041_side.jpg

ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21040_side.jpg

Croix De Fer 30

Frame
Just as with the CdF 20 the new 30-spec frame boasts wider tyre clearance and a host of new fixing points; while retaining the same flat mount disc compatability, 12mm through-axles and Reynolds 725 construction as the 2020 model.

Groupset
Again as with the 20, last year's full-105 groupset has been largely replaced / supplemented by Shimano's gravel-specific GRX components. We now have the 46/30 R600 chainset combined with the 800-series front derailleur, while the excellent clutched 810 rear derailleur is retained from last year. The cassette is the same 11-34 HG item. Unfortunately the brakes are a retrograde step with the 2020 model's fully-hydraulic 105 setup getting the boot in favour of TRP Spyre mech calipers and corresponding mechanical 105 STIs.

Price
The RRP is £1899; a hundred quid less than the outgoing model, but you do lose the hydro brakes which for me is a significant downgrade.

ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21050_side.jpg

Croix De Fer 40

Frame
The frame of the CdF 40 appears to be of identical spec to that of the 30 other than the colour, the differences between the two coming down to component choice.

Groupset
The CdF 40 builds on this year's 30-designated model with more, higher-spec GRX components. We get the same 800-series derailleurs and RX600 crank, but the 40 also adds 600 series hydraulic shifters to suit the 400-series hydro calipers. Also, the rims are changed from Jalco to WTB items, which are presumably higher-spec.

Price
The RRP is £2299; four hundred quid more than this year's CdF 30 and three hundred quid more than last year's 30.

ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21060_side.jpg

Croix De Fer 50

Frame
Geometrically the frame of the CdF 50 appears to be of identical spec to those of the of the 30 and 40 models, however it's constructed from Reynolds 853 tubing which has only previously been reserved for their top-end steel frameset. On addition the fork is Genesis' CGR carbon-fibre item which reputedly saves a fair bit of mass.

Groupset
Being the top end steel model Genesis have pretty-much pushed the boat out on GRX components with 800-series bits throughout with the exception of the RX600 crankset.

Price
The RRP is a cool £2999; £700 more than the CdF 40 and 1.5 times more than last year's CdF 30.

ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21070_side.jpg

725 Frameset
The CdF 20-spec frameset unsurprisingly gets the same upgrades as the full bike, so wider tyre clearance and a host of additional fixing points. IIRC price has been hiked by £50 to £549 RRP, which I guess is reasonable given the changes made and real-world inflation.

ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21090_side.jpg

725 12/12 Frameset
Effectively a new model for this year, Genesis are now offering what's essentially the same frameset as used on the 30 and 40 models (725 tube with 12mm through-axles) rather than last year where the sole TA frame sold in isolation was the 853 model.

While it's not a direct comparison on account of the material difference, the current 725 12/12 frameset retails at £799; £50 less than last year's geometrically-similar (tyre clearance and mounts notwithstanding) 853 model.

ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21100_side.jpg

853 Frameset
Following on from the revisions further down the range to better align the frames with the built bikes, the 853 frameset is essentially the companion to the built CdF 50, although lacks the complete bike's CFRP fork. RRP is £1049, £200 more than last year's 853 frameset which was much the same barring the usual larger tyre clearance and mounting points introduced this year.

Tbh sadly this price hike really smacks of price-gouging, considering the entry-level 725 frameset has only seen a £50 hike for the same intrinsic changes, so by comparison the 853 frame really doesn't seem to offer great value for money.

ftp_f_freewheel_imagessportlinefwbikesgn21110_side.jpg

Summary and Thoughts

Generally I appreciate nearly all the changes to the framesets; the wider tyre clearance and additional mounting points can only be seen as positives. I'm less enamoured with the internal brake cable / hose routing on the higher-end models as this can be a ballache to work on and give a potential water ingress point, however it undoubtably looks better than the previous setup with its somewhat amateurish-looking use of cable ties.

The CdF 20 looks like the best-value upgrade; with a host of GRX goodies for the extra £100 plus the crucial addition of flat-mount brake compatability meaning great upgrade potential should you want to fit Tiagra, 105 or other fully-hydro brakes in future. It's a bit of a shame that the QR wheel fitment has been retained, although I suspect this is a marketing decision to distinguish this from the next model up and give a reason to upgrade.

It's a shame that the CdF 30 has been neutered with mech brakes; which I suspect has saved a lot more than the £100 off the RRP (although granted you're getting some extra value with the GRX crankset). It appears that last year's 30 has effectively been split into two this year; a lower-end offering in the form of the new 30 and a higher-spec offering in the 40.

Personally in terms of groupset spec I'm glad I bought when I did; the GRX crankset would have been nice but I'll take full-hydro 105 any day of the week over a few teeth saved on the crankset, and the price was a squeeze last time while I'd never have been able to have justified the extra to push to the fully-hydro CdF 40.

Finally the 50 looks all very nice, I'm hard-pressed to comment on its value as I'm out of touch with current component pricing.. the fork will doubtless save a load of weight but personally one of the appealing things about the other models is the perceived bombproof nature of the steel fork. Depends on your preferences I guess..

I love the colours of the new models; ironically probably in reverse order of price.. and like the step back from the white logos on mine to the more subtle colour-matched hues on the new models.

The framesets seem to be a mixed bag; the 725 arguably offering the best value, the 725 12/12 probably representing the sweet spot between value and spec. The 12/12 is perhaps all the more appealing as it allows those happy to roll their own to build a pseudo-CdF 30/40 with a grand to spend on the groupset / wheels / finishing kit etc before they hit the RRP of the 30, which I reckon could yield a nicer-spec bike than the 30 for potentially less money. So, if not content with the spec of the built 20 model this seems like the most sensible and cost-effective route to a higher / mid range model.

Unfortunately the 853 frameset seems very expensive for what it is, and I guess is in-keeping with the built 50's arrival to target those with a lot of money to spend and less concern about value.

The new range certainly has some nice features I'd not say no to on my current '30 and has some nice little evolutions, however certainly nothing that would make me run out and upgrade - especially since the entry-level hydro model is now £300 more out of reach.

What do people reckon to the new lineup?

*EDITED* 29/10 to correct some errors and include the 20 Alt and framesets..

Last edited:
I like the lineup, I managed to get the CDA 30 via C2W about 6 weeks ago, with Tiagra/GRX and I’m really impressed. The Promax brakes may be changed in time, but they’re ok for my commute and leisure rides so far.
I really love being back on drops, I missed them when I changed the Beone Mistral to a Cannondale SL2 Trail, swapped because Mrs SnG didn’t want to ride roads, and bought herself an electric Cube.

The CDA is comfortable, and pretty quick on road, and good to great on cinder and unmade track.
I was thinking of a CdF but chose the lower amount for C2w and am really happy I did.
The low gearing on the GRX will be good to try on the hillier sections of the SDW which well no doubt be trying in October, our next time off work.
98375082-A977-4C59-BE99-9826B395D2B4.jpeg

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but for a steel frame your not half paying a premium. I`ve never thought they represented good value for money. £1900 and not even hydraulic brakes ??

Nice looking frame.
I understand that many folk use them for touring.
But I wouldn't use anything above 9 speed for touring.
The only reason I can think of for them to go to 10 (they did quite some time ago I think) is to boost margin.
By doing that though I think they undermine their credibility.
In short, I think them too pimped.
And buyers are then committed to these pimped bits.
But business needs must I suppose.
(edited for typo)

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Nice write up Wafter, good summary.
Did we *really* need 5 different CdF models? ^_^
The best two of those four in my view are the 20 and 30, both in terms of looks and value. Once you go up the range I think they're poorer value and a bit "Premiership footballer". But I love the colours on those two.

Edit: Hang on, I just had a look at the website... it's not 5 models of CdF, it's eleven!!

Last edited:
The best two of those four in my view are the 20 and 30, both in terms of looks and value. Once you go up the range I think they're poorer value and a bit "Premiership footballer". But I love the colours on those two.

Edit: Hang on, I just had a look at the website... it's not 5 models of CdF, it's eleven!!
Cripes - rather puts me in mind of all those endless models of cars manufacturers use to make for the sales rep market - so they could compete with each other on the suffix letters denoting piddling differences/upgrades.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like the lineup, I managed to get the CDA 30 via C2W about 6 weeks ago, with Tiagra/GRX and I. Really impressed. The Promax brakes may be changed in time, but they’re ok for my commute and leisure rides so far.
I really love being back on drops, I missed them when I changed the Beone Mistral to a Cannondale SL2 Trail, swapped because Mrs SnG didn’t want to ride roads, and bought herself an electric Cube.

The CDA is comfortable, and pretty quick on road, and good to great on cinder and unmade track.
I was thinking of a CdF but chose the lower amount for C2w and am really happy I did.
The low gearing on the GRX will be good to try on the hillier sections of the SDW which well no doubt be trying in October, our next time off work.
View attachment 547700
Grand - looks nice :smile:

I didn't immediately twig that yours was part of this year's new releases; looks like they hit the market a far bit before the rest of the company's 2021 lineup. I read your post with interest on my CdF thread but haven't got round to updating it yet!

It's good to see the GRX is being adopted so universally as it seems ideal for these bikes; although while in principal I'd prefer it over the current 105 I have fitted, in reality it's not a deal-breaker and so far I can't think of an occasion I've found the 34/34 lowest gear wanting; although it'd be interesting to try something lower just to see what I'm missing out on :smile:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but for a steel frame your not half paying a premium. I`ve never thought they represented good value for money. £1900 and not even hydraulic brakes ??
Indeed; while I love these bike I'd struggle to call them good value and I totally agree about the brakes on the 30 - mech discs on something that's nearly two grand are pretty unforgiveable IMO and as per my OP I think in my case that might have actually been a deal-breaker that put me off the idea completely.

It seems the 20 is the best-value model, which is perhaps unsurprising as I imagine it's also their most popular. Above that you're increasingly getting squeezed for disproportionately more as you move up the range and value falls. Maybe I'm being too cynical but it seems they've engineered in some significant differences to introduce some artificial price-breaks between the models to incentivise spending more on the next model up.

Between the 10 and 20 you have the nicer frame material, 20 to 30 you have the brake mount format (IS v. flat-mount) and axle standard (QF v. through-axle), 30 to 40 the headliner IMO is the braking (fully mech. v. fully hydro) and 40 to 50 the big standout is the fork. All the frame-based differences obviously limit your future upgrade potential, while components can be replaced; however the cost of changing the mech. setup on the 30 to a full hydro setup would surely cost a comparable amount to the £400 difference in price between that and the 40, while that doesn't take into account the additional nice bits the 40 includes.

While I do like this new range I can't help but feel that it's been complicated and subject to a bit more cynical marketing manipulation to push you up to more expensive models. The more I think about it the more content I become in my decision to buy when I did tbh. I still bloody love mine and while it could never be legitimately be called a bargain, I feel like I bagged a good deal getting the fully-hydro 105 groupset for the price I did :smile:

Nice looking frame.
I understand that many folk using them for touring.
But I wouldn't use anything above 9 speed for touring.
The only reason I can think of for them to go to 10 (they did quite some time ago I think) is to boost margin.
By doing that though I think they undermine their credibility.
In short, I think them too pimped.
And buyers are then committed to these pimped bits.
But business needs must I suppose.
Indeed!

I agree in principal about the gearing, however while the CdF is well-suited to touring (and many other duties!) the company's dedicated touring model is the Tour de Fer, which has a few more touring-friendly features including more modestly-specced / utilitarian groupsets. The entry-level 10 model still runs 3x9 Sora, although the 20 and 30 run 10-sp based systems; both triples but Deore and Tiagra-based respectively. I love the the paint on the new TdF range :becool:

I agree about the business motivations though; I guess it's always going to be a case of striking a balance between making no margin and overtly price-gouging your customers.. while not great value compared to others I've always felt Genesis have generally done well in this regard; although IMO they've slipped a bit this year compared to last.

In answer to your question, probably not! I like some of the new features but can't help but feel the new range has been over-complicated for the sake of leading you up the garden path of increasingly-costly models.. while also pushing the cost of the highest-end steel offering up by 50% over last year. I think last year's 30 was a really sweet model with a really complete, rounded spec - this year they've binned that in favour of a far less balanced groupset; seemingly in an effort to squeeze buyers for an additional £300 to upgrade to the 40.

Totally agree with what you're saying about the higher-end models; sadly this seems to be a direction in which many companies are going; courting those with "too much" money with ever-more expensive high-end products that offer no real value for money.

The Ti model appears to have gone up by around £800 / 20% over last years model too. That had full GRX so I'm not sure what they've changed to justify such a fat hike..

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Strictly speaking Genesis aren't offering anything. Its Madison offering gear with the Genesis branding.

Thats not to detract in any way, they're pretty good at hitting a workmanlike, decent value sweet spot.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have an old CdF, which whilst being nice to ride and bombproof would certainly not be replaced with one of these new models. The price just seems ridiculous, having to spend £2400 to get hydro brakes is seriously off-putting.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Strictly speaking Genesis aren't offering anything. Its Madison offering gear with the Genesis branding.

Thats not to detract in any way, they're pretty good at hitting a workmanlike, decent value sweet spot.
Splitting hairs to the nth degree though, isn't it? Genesis is a Madison brand so the link is obvious and I don't see any benefit in making that distinction..

I have an old CdF, which whilst being nice to ride and bombproof would certainly not be replaced with one of these new models. The price just seems ridiculous, having to spend £2400 to get hydro brakes is seriously off-putting.
Indeed; unfortunately they seem to be following the trend of the price of anything decent spirally ridiculously ever-skyward, and only cements the idea in my mind of buying decent (often used) kit and making it last. While my CdF was hardly cheap compared to some of the earlier models I do feel somewhat smug that I arguably bought the most complete, best-value and best-specced variant of the CdF 30. Purely by chance of course :tongue:

Hopefully with this bike bought I'm now out of the market for such things for a very long time / forever (unless used prices crash ridiculously and I can pick up an early one for a song as a utility hack).

The carbon fork bikes have 'bottle/anything' mounts.

I thought mounts on carbon forks were a no-no.

A bottle is one thing, but I'm not sure I'd fancy a pair of Ortliebs with 20kg in them on a plastic fork.
Yup... personally I have no desire for CFRP forks; especially on a bike such as this; one of whose major selling points is the suggestion that it's bomb-proof.

mythste

Veteran
Frames with traditional diameter tubing look awful with a sloping top tube. Those are no exception.

Gearing up for a fight there laddy! :laugh:

I'm pleased they're offering as many options as they are. If they carry on with the sensible refinemenets each year the I imagine it will over time develop a bit of a classic status. It's a renowned work horse with so many different applications.

I'd be curious to ride an 835 steel frame and see if it "feels" any different.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
For off-road use I'd be looking at nice wide clearances for tires, but whilst wider than before, 42mm at 700c is still far too small for me.

It seems a lot of the cash is in the frame, rather than the groupset as well. These bikes do look nice, but you do seem to be paying a premium for choosing Reynolds steel and loosing out on the groupset as a result.

My Kona retails for €2000 and has a generic chromoloy frame, which is much cheaper than a Reynolds one, and most of the money goes into the SRAM groupset. I must admit after riding it for a year, that I can't really discern any difference between my frame and a Reynolds badged one.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Frames with traditional diameter tubing look awful with a sloping top tube. Those are no exception.
I'd say it's a matter of personal taste, and FWIW the tubes on mine are a fair bit fatter than on my old lugged Raleigh. Plus I love the aesthetic of the frame ;)

Gearing up for a fight there laddy! :laugh:

I'm pleased they're offering as many options as they are. If they carry on with the sensible refinemenets each year the I imagine it will over time develop a bit of a classic status. It's a renowned work horse with so many different applications.

I'd be curious to ride an 835 steel frame and see if it "feels" any different.
:laugh:

Aye, I agree in principal although as per my OP I think with the spec changes this year they've maybe gone a bit off the rails in the quest to push punters towards the higher-end models. When I was researching mine it was nice to see the 30 evolve from its inception in 2015 as the first model with hydro brakes (albeit using lots of non-series bits and IS-mount) and QR axles, to the 2020 version with flat mount calipers, through-axles and full 105.. which (pehaps smaller crankset notwithstanding) would have been exactly as I'd have specced it by choice.

They certainly seem to have a cult following with a deserved reputation for versatility and durability... although this is no doubt perpetuated to an extent by the Genesis marketing machine. The do seem universally loved by those who own them though; myself included :smile:

I too would be curious to try some different framesets back to back; although personally think a lot of the difference would be undetectable by most riders and it's 99% marketing hype to drive the sale of more expensive products. Granted there's likely to be a tangible difference between as-received, plain-gauge gas pipe and a double or triple-butted heat treated alloy (both in terms of mass saving and "springyness" as the yield strength of the heat-treated material should be a lot higher, and this allow thinner walls and greater deflection within its elastic limit before it permanently deforms).

In the CdF frames the mass saving between 725 and 853 is next to nowt (according to the current spec sheets the 853 is actually 10g heavier!) and again, I don't think I could tell the difference between them.. certainly not to warrant a £250 / 35% premium on the cost of the frameset. That said maybe I just don't know any better because I've not experienced the glory of a top-end tube.. but I doubt it :tongue:

IIRC some German cycling mag did a feature years ago on blind tests on a number of identical-looking frames made from various different grades of steel and the subjective opinions of the testers showed little correlation..

Top Bottom