Genesis Tour de Fer 30.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Simply does the advert match the real experience? Anyone here have one that they use regularly?

Falsesummat

I bought the 2021 purple coloured Croix de Fer as a frameset 725 tubing and steel fork. I built it up with Shimano 105 hydraulic flat mount brakes, shifters and rear mech, and fitted a Shimano GRX 600 series chainset with 46/30 chainrings and a GRX front mech. Although it is a heavy bike, it is very stable and comfortable. I cycled LEJOG in September 2021 and it carried me and plenty of kit very well. The frame size is a large and fits my 185 cm height just right. I have more expensive bikes but this is my go to bike. Whether i average 13 mph or 18 mph doesnt matter, it returns a predictable ride. Its a keeper

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
@Old Hippy does this post mean your planning to buy a second bike . You haven’t fallen out of love with your faithful Koga . :laugh:

I am attempting, haphazardly perhaps, to plan ahead for a lifetime bike. Weighing up the bang for buck hand built tourer or top end off the peg and adjust to suit. I'd have steel over anything as I will spend so much time picking random routes which won't all be flat and even. Genesis always gets good press but you rarely see the full tourer out and about. Love my Koga but would chop it for something I could live on for months at a time if I wanted to.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
@CanucksTraveller is perhaps the man to ask; IIRC he has a TdF 10 and rates it highly. The 30 will differ in terms of material spec (Genesis' own steel on the 10, Reynolds 725 on the 20 and 30) and accessories fitted as standard.

They look like very nice bikes and FWIW I'm generally very happy with my CdF 30, although obviously there are differences between models. I believe they now come with a lifetime warranty on the frame.

They do break from tradition somewhat with the use of (cable) disk brakes and STI shifters; which you may or may not consider of benefit. I'm a proper STI tart, however have really come to appreciate the bar end shifters on my Fuji - which do bring benefits in terms of simplicity, cost and arguably reliability..

I thought you were looking at alternative tourers - Spa maybe..?

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I agree with @vickster and @wafter , Spa cycles . They will build to your spec and budget.
I think your in Kent ? , so North Yorkshire is quite a trek . But a visit to Spa for a test ride is definitely worth the journey. Then should you decide to buy ,a talk through your requirements.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I agree with @vickster and @wafter , Spa cycles . They will build to your spec and budget.
I think your in Kent ? , so North Yorkshire is quite a trek . But a visit to Spa for a test ride is definitely worth the journey. Then should you decide to buy ,a talk through your requirements.

Not nec. recommending them (@Vantage is worth speaking to about this!) just vaguely recall the OP mentioning them in the past ;)

Top Bottom