gently nibbling away at self doubt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Well having started cycling again a year ago and moving from a mountain bike in the forests near home to regular commuting to considering some sportives, I was worried that perhaps I might not make it up the big hill on the first sportive, so I went for a sneaky practice run today on the Bealach Beag route to see if I could make the 622m climb and indeed the 1500m+ of the full 44mile route.

Cold, wet and unbelievably windy would describe the day. Barely making 12mph on the flat at times, but there was precious little flat anyway.

Here are some pics from the day

photo.JPG
photo-1.JPG

Still in one piece

photo-2.jpg

Weather at sea level was fine, but on the hill it was a bit grim

roll on summer

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 46

edindave

Über Member
Well done. I hope to do that route one day. How was the climb?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well, you can moan all day about the wind, savage yak, rutting haggis et al, but tell me where in those pictures you see a RLJing motorist driving over the pavements whilst screaming abuse at you, go on, tell me!
It looks very nice, and I'm jealous.

OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

Well done. I hope to do that route one day. How was the climb?

Climb was OK, but my back was sore, working hard. The 0.5 mile of sustained 15% + just before the hairpins was tough.

Well, you can moan all day about the wind, savage yak, rutting haggis et al, but tell me where in those pictures you see a RLJing motorist driving over the pavements whilst screaming abuse at you, go on, tell me!
It looks very nice, and I'm jealous.

Indeed in 44 miles I only passed 9 or 10 cars, it was soooo quiet. Wind, schmind...I should count myself lucky

Sense of accomplishment?

I would expect so!

You bet

Brandane

Legendary Member
Have done that route on a 600cc motorbike. To do it on a proper bike; on a day like today; utterly certifiable :thumbsup:.

I doff my cap to you; well done!

OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

Have done that route on a 600cc motorbike. To do it on a proper bike; on a day like today; utterly certifiable :thumbsup:.

I doff my cap to you; well done!

Some of the "rolling hills" of the north end of the Applecross peninsula were mentally more draining than the Bealach na Ba itself.

I maybe should admit to stopping at the Applecross inn for a coffee and a bowl of soup half way round, as I was so wet and cold. The chap behind the bar told me someone came through yesterday on a bike, and the weather was worse. Apparently he didn't enjoy it much. I had planned to go yesterday, but bottled it due to the weather forecast, so maybe I got off lightly.

Nebulous

Guru
Well done. I struggled with the bit before the hairpins on the Bealach Mhor. A guy from our club claims he was blown off his bike at that section!

OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

Well done. I struggled with the bit before the hairpins on the Bealach Mhor. A guy from our club claims he was blown off his bike at that section!

I was nearly blown off the road by a cross-wind on the descent to Applecross, which was very hairy and unpleasant, another reason to stop for coffee and soup.

It'll be a while before I tackle the 90 miler, but now feel happier about doing the Beag route on 12th May this year

OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

Chuck Norris would have wimped out. You're 'THE MAN':girl:

Chuck Norris....now that takes me back

I suspect I went, because I said I would, and would have felt bad wimping out. I spent the first 7 miles battling the headwind wondering WTF I was doing. The hill was a challenge so just got on with it, thinking the descent would be OK....oh how wrong, and then I was committed to the last 24 miles of "undulating" terrain back to Shieldaig......it was either that or go back over the Bealach:ohmy:

jim55

Guru
iv drove that road with a car club (i had an mr2 turbo)and much respect to you ,how du find it ,was it granny ring stuff ,i dont think i could make it :blush:
applecrossroadsign-1.jpg

Attachments

• applecrossroadsign-1.jpg
    applecrossroadsign-1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

iv drove that road with a car club (i had an mr2 turbo)and much respect to you ,how du find it ,was it granny ring stuff ,i dont think i could make it :blush:
applecrossroadsign-1.jpg

MR2's also take me back, retro, but still evocative.

Compact double on the front, 11-28 on the back, and believe me I was glad (for the first time) the bike had the cassette changed to increase to a 28 before I picked it up. I was out of the saddle for a good bit of it and did try to stay in the 25 for as long as possible, but couldn't manage.

Attachments

• applecrossroadsign-1.jpg
    applecrossroadsign-1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 38

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
So, worried about your ability you just decide to tackle the highest mountain pass in the whole of Britain?:eek: Chapeau!:bravo:That's one of those routes I'd love to have a go at but don't know if I ever will.

Top Bottom