Geocaching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DeepBurn

Über Member
Just wondering if there are any geocachers out there and if you specifically go geocaching on your bike?

I've been caching for about 2 years. I know there are certain caches that are designed specifically with the cyclist in mind.

I'm going to head out this afternoon and maybe grab one or two in my local area that are cyclist friendly.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
what are you on about?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We are cachers. We cache as 'Water-rats' if you are on groundspeak.
We have cached by bike and on foot. It depends on the terrain. We are looking to buy a couple of second hand mountain bikes for the winter and get some more caching done by bike. Thinking of doing a nice route of caches on one of our cycle routes.

snorri

Legendary Member
The siting of some caches can act as an extra incentive to get out on the bike to visit places and reaquaint myself with some aspect of local history, but actually searching for a hidden box and logging finds leaves me a bit cold.
Use of a car for this pastime should lead to instant and lifetime disqualification in my book!^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
If only there existed a system whereby you could input queries and questions and get answers.

One day, mark my words.
I'd heard a rumour that some American bloke, Dave Google, was working on something like that. I'd advise you buy share now while they're cheap.

HovR

Über Member
I do a bit of Geocaching every now and then. For me it's not all about finding the cache and signing your name, but a good cache should take you to a great location you've never been before - That's the real reward for me.

OP
OP
DeepBurn

DeepBurn

Über Member
As others have pointed out I enjoy it when it takes you somewhere you haven't known. I've learnt more about by local area in the past couple of years than I would have done if I hadn't done geocaching.

There are plenty of absyml caches out there though - a film cannister behind a dissued toilet block being one notoriously bad one in my area. However if you are smart enough you can focus on the good ones that take you to great places. It's not like there is a shortage of them these days!

Top Bottom