Geocaching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I Geocache from one kebab shop to the next.

Doseone

Guru
Did my first one last night.

Bought a GPS at the weekend after getting a bit lost in crap visibility on the Beacons last week, so decided to give Geocaching a go. Was going out for a run on the hills with the dog anyway last night and the cache was almost en-route. It's quite fun and I think the kids will enjoy it too, but it's not something that I'm going to take too seriously.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
But who buries all the caches? How do people get the locations?

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Did my first one last night.

Bought a GPS at the weekend after getting a bit lost in crap visibility on the Beacons last week, so decided to give Geocaching a go. Was going out for a run on the hills with the dog anyway last night and the cache was almost en-route. It's quite fun and I think the kids will enjoy it too, but it's not something that I'm going to take too seriously.

Our kids loved it when they where younger and we'd spend most weekends looking for them and placing them. Sadly there older, but still asked occasionally to do a few :smile:

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
[QUOTE 2414882, member: 45"]It's simple. Someone scours the bottom drawer for a canister from film that no-one has used for 15 years. They then screw up a bit of paper and put it in the canister. They then drive somewhere windy or cold or both, that's half a mile from a road, and put the canister in a hole somewhere. They then log the location coordinates.

Someone else finds the coordinates. They drive for miles to find the canister with a screwed up bit of paper in. They write their name on the screwed up bit of paper, screw it up again and put the canister back in the hole.

I can really see the attraction.[/quote]

Or if you read the website correctly you'll see its a good sized cache and the kids can swap things or move on travel bugs and coins

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It all sounds very interesting but I think it could be made better. It would be far more efficient if everybody agreed on one, easily accessible location at which to deposit all of the caches. Then participants could do them all in one go. I'm amazed that this has not been thought of before, or that some one hasn't begun to gather up all the caches in order to do this.

Top Bottom