German food recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Thanks for this inspirational thread, Arch. After reading it yesterday morning I pedalled my hangover and a rucksack to Germany. If you are ever on Cleaves High Street I can recommend the tuna fish salad and apple cake at the baker's on the left of the main square. The hangover got lost somewhere on the way but the rucksack came back stuffed with meats and bread.

PS
Fresh asparagus are already available.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Alan H said:
Thanks for this inspirational thread, Arch. After reading it yesterday morning I pedalled my hangover and a rucksack to Germany. If you are ever on Cleaves High Street I can recommend the tuna fish salad and apple cake at the baker's on the left of the main square. The hangover got lost somewhere on the way but the rucksack came back stuffed with meats and bread.

PS
Fresh asparagus are already available.

Ah, the joy of living on the continent, and near enough a national border!

I hope the bread and meats keep you well fed!

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Arch said:
Ah, the joy of living on the continent, and near enough a national border!

In Germersheim you'll only be about 20 mins or so from the French border. Don't let that fool you though, as Alsace at that point is very little different from Germany, except the prices in the restaurants are nearly double!

Germersheim is only about half an hour's drive from where I live, but I am ashamed to say I have never heard of the Spezi until now!

PS hope you enjoy your stay. There's no shortage of cycle tracks in this part of Germany.

Last time I had a meal out in Germany, I was there on a business trip. While I was working away at fixing the problems on site, one of our (German) colleagues went off and came back with a stack of takeaway pizzas to ward off the hunger pangs.

The next day, work completed and me with a few hours to kill before my flight home, another colleague treated me to a proper sit-down restaurant meal. We went to a local ....
...Chinese. ;)

This won't have been much help to you I'm afraid. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:
Right then, now that you're back are you going to give us the lowdown on what you scoffed?

Saturday and Sunday, breakfast - cold meat, cheese, boiled eggs, bread roll, jam, coffee, juice.

Saturday lunch, a salad buffet (with several pickled vegetables included) with a pils.

Saturday dinner at the local restaurant, pork schnitzel with asparagus, hollandaise sauce and some... fadles(sp)? I think they were called, little herb pancakes. With pils, and a glass of schnapps afterwards.

Sunday lunch, bratwurst and chips, with a bottle of Radler in a Rhineside cafe.

Also a few ice creams at the show, which claimed to be real Italian - jolly nice they were too.

Oh and a filet-of-fish at a McDonalds at a service station on the way back to the ferry..

All very good!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, and as I expected, I like Germany. Took me a while to get used to the cycle paths as they went round roundabouts - I'm fine cycling on the right on the road, but couldn't get my head round which side cars would be coming off roundabouts or round corners at junctions. Added to the fact that when they do, they wait for cyclists to cross - that confused me even more! I was just about getting the hang of it by the time we cycled back to the bus on Sunday....

Would definitely like to go back and see more. Especially the museum some of our party visited on Sunday, where they have a Boeing 747 mounted on a stick, with a slide to exit from (a twirly waterpark type, not an emergency one!).

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Flädle.

It's a wonderful place to tour. IMO there are four "must do" bike routes: the Romantische Strasse from the Alps to Würzburg and four river routes, Main, Rhein, Danube and Weser.

gavintc

Guru
Yes, there is a lot to commend Germany. I have always enjoyed my visits and the food is but one part of that enjoyable experience. I think I have a trip coming up in July and the lists of options and recommendations for Arch has made me quite hopeful that the trip comes off. Brattie, pommes and senf -- mmm.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:

Bless you!

It's a wonderful place to tour. IMO there are four "must do" bike routes: the Romantische Strasse from the Alps to Würzburg and four river routes, Main, Rhein, Danube and Weser.

Yeah, it's definitely on my grand tour list. We only did a mile or so along the Rhine, and it was heaving with people out for a spin on bikes, roller blades etc. Being a glorious hot day helped of course.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'd recommend the Romantische Strasse as your first German tour because it starts with Neuschwanstein Castle with the Alps as a dramatic backdrop, takes you through some wonderful medaeval towns full of timbered houses and finishes in the wine capital of Bavaria. And it's good food all the way.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:
I'd recommend the Romantische Strasse as your first German tour because it starts with Neuschwanstein Castle with the Alps as a dramatic backdrop, takes you through some wonderful medaeval towns full of timbered houses and finishes in the wine capital of Bavaria. And it's good food all the way.

Sold!

I better start trying to learn a bit of German too!

But this year is my French trip, first things first....

Top Bottom