German food recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm off to Germany in a couple of weeks, to the Spezi show, and I've never been before. Apparently we'll be going to a restaurant one evening, and my knowledge of German food is limited to a rather nice Alsace thin pizza sort of thing I forget the name of, and the stereotypical knockwurst-with-the-fallen-madonna-with-the-big-boobies.

So, any tips on nice stuff to eat? I'll tackle most things, but don't like mushrooms....

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Pfannkuchen ?

best ever german food has to be pommes mit mayo:biggrin:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Arch said:
I'll tackle most things, but don't like mushrooms....

What on earth is the matter with you, don't like mushrooms?????

The only thing I can think of is Black Forest Gateaux but you're probably onto that one already.

Anyway Arch someone normal will be along in a minute with some good advice. Probably.

Have a nice trip BTW. :smile:

No help at all I am afraid - I lived there as a kid for 10 years - and I have recently spent a lot of time cycling there - and have bever come across anything really German that was outstanding - shweine, potatoes, sausages and roast chicken seem to predominate

I have had some really nice schweinsnitzel but unfortuently what made it really good was a pepper and mushroom sauce

Notwithstanding that there are a lot of German foods as opposed to menu items that are good - Breiteling - a sort of lightly battered soused herring - smoked eels - smoked sausages various - cheese soft blues and some that are very smelly but delicately flavoured - lots of good things in the German shops

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
But what's german for Black Forest Gateau? Schwartz something?

Oh, my German is a bit limited BTW. :smile:

davidg

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (wiki)

you can have it after the pig knuckle I am telling you to have!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
davidg said:
Schweinshaxe is the food of winners...I expect a full report

<google>

mmm, looks good!

I think I can decipher the main points of a menu enough not to get anything I don't like - and I'll have a fluent German speaker to hand in case....

<google again>

Note to self, avoid 'pilz'.

Norm

I can recommend a Weisswurst Frühstück (white sausage breakfast) with half a litre (a litre if you are brave) of weissbier. The perfect way to start the day.

Germany is a country of many parts, though, and I think that Weisswurst / Weissbier are Bavarian, as is Schweinshaxe.

I'm not sure where Spezi is held, but the local stuff will probably be rather good, wherever it is. IIRC, the phrase for "English Menu" is "Englischer Karte", most everywhere will have one if you don't fancy being brave.

I am a big fan of Germany food. And drink.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
davidg said:
Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (wiki)

you can have it after the pig knuckle I am telling you to have!

oh good, I think I might have worked that one out if i'd seen it!

I was thinking the other day, that although I'm only fluent in English, and can get by, just, in French, I can decipher the basics of a menu in quite a few languages...

Top Bottom