Get in the bike lane! Wait your turn! A video from yesterdays commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't know what's more depressing. The fact that you felt inclined engage this brain donor in conversation, or that you felt it remarkable enough to post it on here.

She's a chump. The world's full of them. Why the surprise?

thefollen

Veteran
Excellent retort! Made me laugh.

I'd say it's likely that drivers moaning about/at cyclists are often jealous of our relative freedom on the roads as they're sitting frustratedly in a queue, wishing they could do the same.

Give a driver the option to overtake or get ahead of another and I guarantee they take it.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
What a lovely exchange. At least she recognised the concept of waiting your turn though...can see her now, driving patiently behind all the cyclists she encounters, holding up the traffic and gently letting any complainants know that she's just waiting in line :whistle:
Loosely related, someone tried to overtake me last night at a pinch point and drove through a bollard and the funny thing about that is that they stopped afterwards because they thought they'd hit me. No clue at all but they did acknowledge, at least, that they should have just slowed down rather than trying it on. "It' ok," I said "you've learned and I'm not dead." Big yay for pleasant exchanges :dance:

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

I don't know what's more depressing. The fact that you felt inclined engage this brain donor in conversation, or that you felt it remarkable enough to post it on here.

She's a chump. The world's full of them. Why the surprise?
Seems you're outnumbered on that opinion. Many, many people have enjoyed this video, why not share?

screenman

Legendary Member
Not sure how old some of you are, but when you took your driving lessons not much time was used educating us about cyclists and why they should be given room, or the advantages of having more cyclists on the road.

I did not watch the video, I seldom do.

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

What a lovely exchange. At least she recognised the concept of waiting your turn though...can see her now, driving patiently behind all the cyclists she encounters, holding up the traffic and gently letting any complainants know that she's just waiting in line :whistle:
Loosely related, someone tried to overtake me last night at a pinch point and drove through a bollard and the funny thing about that is that they stopped afterwards because they thought they'd hit me. No clue at all but they did acknowledge, at least, that they should have just slowed down rather than trying it on. "It' ok," I said "you've learned and I'm not dead." Big yay for pleasant exchanges :dance:

Nail on the head here. It's not about who's right or getting an upper hand or even getting ahead... It's about getting everyone to think abuot what they are doing, why they are trying to overtake at a pinch point or get ahead of a cyclist when the need to turn in 50 yards etc.

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

Not sure how old some of you are, but when you took your driving lessons not much time was used educating us about cyclists and why they should be given room, or the advantages of having more cyclists on the road.

I did not watch the video, I seldom do.

All the more reason to watch exchanges like this!

Drago

Legendary Member
Seems you're outnumbered on that opinion. Many, many people have enjoyed this video, why not share?
Because anyone that cycles any real mileage will see this 10 times a week, so there's no novelty or surprise in it. If we all posted up videos of such Muppets the internet would break under the strain.

And why indulge her? A cheery wave while cycling onwards gets the message across, doesn't delay the rider by one second, and doesn't risk them being drawn into an argument or confrontation that will get them nowhere.

This turned out to be a relatively benign encounter, but still the rider gained nothing in exchange for the loss of a minute of their time, so why bother?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Completely off on a tangent, your voice sounds very similar to the magician Dynamo. ...Are you Dynamo?

Did the driver turn back from the exchange to see the card she was thinking of stuck to the inside of her windscreen?
Better than the cyclist she was thinking of being stuck to the said windscreen ! :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
Better than the cyclist she was thinking of being stuck to the said windscreen ! :laugh:

Unfortunately, when she had her lessons they did not teach her to think about cyclist enough. Maybe a 30 miles cycle ride in suburban, city and rural should be part of the driving test. No, let us make it 100 miles.

Top Bottom