Get yourself breakdown cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have been with the AA for over 60 years and the cost has certainly risen beyond the percentage of income it used to be
Used them half a dozen times and only once a bit peeved a few years ago. The cable drive on the speedo of my old motorhome failed and it would be illegal to drive on the public highway. The call handler refused to help “ just use your mobile phone” he said which would be illegal since it would have to be hand held even if capable of checking speed.
Ended up driving from Aberdeen to Perth but had to keep the speed at the average of other vehicles and fingers firmly crossed that plod were not doing random checks.
There is only one recovery firm on Mull nearly 60 miles away from my home but they are fast and efficient IME. I am pretty sure their trucks are souped up as I have met them on the road a few times heading for somebody else’s problem.
They do not hang about.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I've been with Greenflag for quite a few years now, but never required their services so far, so no idea how good they are.

Drago

Legendary Member
Buy a Honda, they don't top the reliability surveys for nothing.

Fine tactic if youre buying new, but when purchasing someone else's sloppy seconds the manner in which it's been treated and maintained is a far more pertinent factor. I'd rather a cherished Citroën than a Honda that was previously owned by a hit man.

Landsurfer

Veteran
My truck, Jules car and the 3 motorbikes are all with Greenflag.
I like them ...they never send a mechanic, always a breakdown waggon to take you home …
The last call out was a puncture on my CBR 600RR .. he turned up with a recovery vehicle ready for the 180 mile recovery to my house …. “I can fix that puncture in 10 mins if you want “ ….but you’ll lose the recovery fee says I …”let me worry about that “.
He fixed the puncture in less than 10 minutes, tubeless motorcycle tyres are an easy fix roadside, I signed the paperwork……. for a 90 mile recovery … and all was well …
Win, Win, Win …….
👍

vickster

Legendary Member
Fine tactic if youre buying new, but when purchasing someone else's sloppy seconds the manner in which it's been treated and maintained is a far more pertinent factor. I'd rather a cherished Citroën than a Honda that was previously owned by a hit granny
FTFY…it’s a Honda ;)

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The others are finally home. An attempted repair which lasted 30 miles so were then recovered back to Plymouth. Some confusion and lack of drivers meant a 2 hour wait at Ilminster services but apart from that all good. Staff were good on the phone and regular texts sent to track the driver. Not bad for £46 a year

Jameshow

Veteran
The others are finally home. An attempted repair which lasted 30 miles so were then recovered back to Plymouth. Some confusion and lack of drivers meant a 2 hour wait at Ilminster services but apart from that all good. Staff were good on the phone and regular texts sent to track the driver. Not bad for £46 a year

Who was that with?

Mike_P

Guru
When I made my posting earlier completely forgot about a Green Flag rescue after a steering linkage broke in Ripon. That oddly was by a garage at Thirsk while the battery replacement was through one at Ripon

Top Bottom