Getting a Boardman Road Comp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crankyhorse

Hi people

I have not had a Road bike before and I am transitioning from a Carerra Subway Hybrid.

My route to work is a mix of suburban roads, cycle paths and a small section of gravelly stuff where I pass through a White water canoeing centre.

Its only a matter of meters so guess it will not be a problem. ... I'm expecting the Boardman to be fragile compared to the Hybrid?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The bike will be plenty strong enough - the narrower tyres may be a problem with loose gravel though. Try it and see.

colinr

The bike will be plenty strong enough - the narrower tyres may be a problem with loose gravel though. Try it and see.

Road bikes are far more robust than they're given credit for, just check the Pavé sections in the TDF*
I've ridden my road bike on light trails and loose surfaces with no problem.

* so they break a few wheels, but you won't be riding anywhere near as hard!

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I had the Boardman Road Comp with last year's C2W and it was brilliant. The wheels stayed true despite my (at the time) almost 15 stone and rough tarmac.

I would say that the Team Carbon I have this year feels a little more fragile, but I am sure it's not.

Dags11

Hi

Thinking about getting a Boardman Comp (road) too.

Plan is to use it through winter/commute/rainy days.

Has any one put mudguards on, full or race - if so would appreciate some pointers.

Garz

Squat Member
I had the Boardman Road Comp with last year's C2W and it was brilliant. The wheels stayed true despite my (at the time) almost 15 stone and rough tarmac.

I have the comp too, had for about 15 months now and has been a great experience to ride on covering over 4k miles on it. Wheels as above quote are quite true still and has most original equipment on it (peddles, cassette, bar tape, tyres, tubes only changes).

Great value bike.

I am intrigued though about the newer range if it bursts onto the scenes soon as I was drooling when I seen the Ltd edition come out.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Has any one put mudguards on, full or race - if so would appreciate some pointers.

Last winter I fitted Crud Roadracers to my Boardman. Time to put them on again I think.

Mark.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I love mine, just a bit harded going up steep hills.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They do look sweet i drooled over one last time i went into Halfords, i am not allowed any more bikes ( 2 + 1 in bits ) and i only use mine for commuting so i have all i need ( wife will let me have :rolleyes:).

Now that C2W looks like it has been borked i think it will only ever be a dream bike .

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Now that C2W looks like it has been borked i think it will only ever be a dream bike .

here, have a perv at mine :wub: ....

CBM1021-1.jpg

Captain

I was overtaken by a Road Comp the other day at the very top of the longest hill on my commute, very annoying for me as I ride the Hybrid Comp.

Since then I have been looking at second hand road bikes. :tongue:

Dags11

I've put a deposit on a comp.

Whittled the mudguard scenario down to two -

Crud 2
SKS blades

Bearing in mind these will be left on for 6 months/all the time, which way would you guys swing? (Have I typed that right?!):unsure:

Dags

Top Bottom