Getting a found bike back to its owner..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Hypothetically speaking had an otherwise discarded old bike followed me home and I wanted to try and get it back to its owner (assuming it'd not been dumped by them) how could this be achieved? The polis apparently don't want to know.

The bike has what appears to be a holographic security sticker attached with a six-digit number, but this brings up nothing on the bike register website. One matching its description was apparently robbed from London in 2010 but there are no conclusive attributes listed (such as frame number) and it seems to be a relatively common model.

I've posted on a few local FB groups but beyond this can't think of much more I can do. tbh it looks perfect as a pub bike but not being a complete scumbag I'd like to exhaust all viable avenues to getting it back to its owner...

classic33

Leg End Member
Anything that you might have replaced were it yours, that makes it different to the as bought condition?

From experience, your chances of returning it to it's owner are nigh on nil. Even with the frame number to hand.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Anything that you might have replaced were it yours, that makes it different to the as bought condition?

From experience, your chances of returning it to it's owner are nigh on nil. Even with the frame number to hand.
Thanks - you mean stuff that's been changed from origninal spec that would differentiate it from others of the same type? Probably plenty given that it's circa 40yrs old; although I can't be certain of exactly what as I'm not familiar with the particular make and model and knew nowt of them before a quick google tonight. The calipers are non-period-correct, the bars look suspiciously compact, the bar tape can't be original and the tyres look fairly new (but how many casual riders can name the make and model of their tyres)..

I've been intentionally vague in the "found" notices I've put up and there should be plenty of distinguishing features to allow me to recognise its actual owner should anyone actually contact me.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given the age, and the length of time from your nearest match, your chances of returning it are slim.

Is there anything in the seat tube, or number(phone maybe) on the holographic sticker you mentioned.

There's a second site mentioned in the stolen bikes section. Pinned thread, I'm dubious of such sites that make the information you supply public.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Given the age, and the length of time from your nearest match, your chances of returning it are slim.

Is there anything in the seat tube, or number(phone maybe) on the holographic sticker you mentioned.
Indeed, but I'd not feel right if I didn't try.

Tbh I've not given it a decent once-over (can be tomorrow's job) but a quick cursory inspection didn't reveal anything obvious. The only thing on the sticker is the six-digit no. mentioned earlier.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cover yourself in this, don't end up being accused of taking it.

I know you've mentioned the police aren't interested, but I'd want something from them saying I'd reported it to them.

The sticker, is it square & placed diagonally? It sounds as though there may be an electronic tag in the seat tube or headtube.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Cover yourself in this, don't end up being accused of taking it.

I know you've mentioned the police aren't interested, but I'd want something from them saying I'd reported it to them.

The sticker, is it square & placed diagonally? It sounds as though there may be an electronic tag in the seat tube or headtube.
Ta - I've investigated reporting it and their website basically says not to bother. I could give the local cop shop a call tomorrow but I suspect I'll just get the same answer; in which case they're unlikely to record it I guess.

The sticker is rectangular. Hadn't considered at tag; possible I guess but potentially a bit unlikely given the age and value of the bike; plus it would be unlikely in itself to help me find the owner. Worth a bit of research though :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
I've tags in all my bikes. From memory, all the numbers were/are held on record. Tape measure in the tubes would find one, if fitted. Nothing special about a tape measure, most people have one and it'll fit inside the tubes.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I'll have a poke around tomorrow and let you know what I find :smile:

Gazjacko

Hand it in, your local lost property have all reports of stolen bikes to hand. Do the paperwork so if not claimed they return to you. If it’s not recovered by the owner within a period 1-3 months, then it’s yours legally ( make sure you contact them around the date). Then do what you will with it with a clear conscience. I’ve got a lock up and bikes often get ‘dumped’ nearby, if a quick Facebook post on local groups doesn’t get it returned then the Police lost and found try. Ours returns after 3 months. I got both back, one I sold as it was up together, got £75 for it ( donated to Charity) the other, I got running again and gave to my nephew as a replacement for his recently stolen bike. I previously volunteered at a project that took lost and founds (different area of the country) and donated to a kids club. Here the kids learned bike maintenance, got them running and then sold on for youth club funds. It was both satisfying and ad to see a lad with an absent father learn how to mend a puncture for the first time. However my proudest moment was when a guy turned up to buy a cheap bike as he had little money, he was desperate as he needed one to get to work as his bus service had been cut. The committee ( a group of the senior kids in the youth club ) who decided price, and ultimately what the money was spent on, sometimes consumables for bike repair, something for the club ( pool table recovered), or just cakes and sweets. On this day, with no prompting, they voted to donate bike free of charge. Made me think perhaps there’s hope for the world after all.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I wouldn't place too much hope in a tag even if there is one. 20-25 years ago, perhaps more, all Marins came with a security tag which one dropped down the seat tube. I can't recall if this was free or paid for. The idea was if the bike was stolen local police would scan for the tag and return to the last registered owner.

Mine was stolen but the company providing the service proved to be untraceable.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless it can be linked to a crime the police are unlike to accept it as found property. They're a storage and disposal nightmare, so unless a bobby has found it or they can identify it as stolen they'll like as not won't take it from you, and are under no obligation to do so.

You've considered every reasonable avenue if investigation and done as much as a reasonable person can. I'd leave it in the back of the garage for a couple of months and if no one responds to your reasonable efforts to identify the owner I'd be inclined to assume the rights of the owner myself.

As a point of order, it never legally becomes yours. If the real owner spots it in 10 years time and is able to reasonably demonstrate ownership you'd have to give it up. A lost or stolen item remains the property of its owner - the difference is that youd done everything reasonable to identify the owner, and by waiting for a reasonable period you have demonstrated that you have no dishonest intent, so wouldn't be prosecuted for theft by finding, but you never become the owner. Of course, this scenario is soooooo rare I don't think I can recall it ever happening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks guys :smile:

I think I've done all I can... it's now on several FB groups, Daily Info and a couple of ads on Gumtree (bikes and lost property). I can't find an actual physical lost property service for the city; there is an online company offering some similar service but tbh they wanted registration and more personal information than I was comfortable giving.

In any case I've covered all the places I'd look had my bike been nicked (other than ebay but I'm not going to the hassle of negotiating / duping their already horrible listings process) so hopefully if its owner is actively looking for it they'll find it.

I've already had one enquity from a woman through FB about her Husband's bike, but it looks like it's not the one in my possession.

Ultimately the bike's old, tatty and probably worth next to nowt, although of course that's not the point and it's in reasonable mechanical condition so somebody's evidently looked after / valued it to an extent.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Bit of an update.

Found the remnants of another security sticker, anyone recognise it?

IMG_0488.JPG

Here's the top (to avoid disclosing the serial) of the other security sticker:

IMG_0489.JPG

I've also found a frame number; which returns no hits on the national bike register so it's apparently not been reported stolen.

I've given the bike a bit more of a once-over and it's pretty tatty tbh. finish is in a poor state, lots of superficial corrosion, rear tyre perished, both tyres flatish, brakes sticking somewhat, front caliper has been slackened off to accommodate rubbing as the wheel is apparently offset in the fork.. not sure why; best guess is that the it's dished on the spokes or maybe the fork's bent..

EDIT: Further fiddling reveals a sloppy front hub and mis-matched valve types on the wheels. I've oiled a few more bits including the front spoke nipples in preparation for probably having to give them a tweak to re-align the wheel (assuming this is what's wrong with it). Both tyres have taken air; which may or may not remain in the morning. I've not tried riding it yet but the chainring seems pretty worn.. meant to get the wear gauge on the chain but forgot - will have another look tomorrow.

My guess is that it's been dumped by whichever scrote got their hands on it last after it was nicked as they have no ability / inclination to fix the mounting problems with it.

I've lusted for a quicker / better-geared alternative to the ofo and am always up for a little project, although I'm extremely reluctant to chuck any money at this (assuming its owner doesn't get in touch, which is looking increasingly unlikely) given its condition.

I've oiled a few bits and am tempted to have a bit more of a fiddle / give it a test ride, however many of the fixings are imperial and I currently lack the tools to fit..

Last edited:
Top Bottom