Getting a puncture, what do you do.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Feel a bit deflated... :sad:

Seriously, though: what the others said: replace tube now, repair later at your leisure.

ACS

Legendary Member
Always a new tube.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depending on the wheel,

Front: You stop, get off the bike undo the brake release, undo the quick release skewer, unscrew it to get it over the lawyers lips (you can pull it straight out if you have had the foresight to file the lawyers lips off), then you throw it in the bushes and await the team car. You then let the mechanic do his job!

Rear: Jam it in the small chainring and small cog, then stop and jump off the bike, undo the brake release, undo the QR, pull the rear mech backwards and down while lifting the bike up and to the side, the rear wheel will drop out, chuck it in the bushes and await the team car. You then let the mechanic do his job!

Once sorted, you command your domestiques to pace you back in! Later on back at the hotel, you tell the mechanic he best have some new tubs glued on by the morning (even though you know it will take much longer than the time allotted to do it) or his head is on the chopping block!

screenman

Legendary Member
That is the sort of puncture slime would have stopped. On both my regular bikes I carry 2 tubes, the MTB having tubeless fitted would definitely need a tube when a puncture occurred.

I am in the camp that never repairs a inner tube, call me extravagant but I like to change my tubes on a regular basis any way.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm the odd one out. Repair at roadside using a traditional kit (glue, patches, chalk etc).

Having said that, I haven't had to do a roadside repair on my own bikes since getting puncture resistant tyres.

Like most others, I put a new tube and repair when I get round to it, However, I sorted my shed a few weeks ago and I had 32 punctured tubes awaiting attention - a mix of MTB Hybrid and roadie tubes.

I now take a few into work periodically and repair them on my lunch break.

Ningishzidda

Yip, I'm in that camp too; I tend to patch in batches too. When I used to patch individual tubes by the next time I needed it Id find the solvent had went hard.

Do you scrape the vulcanising solution tube against the rubber of the inner tube when you apply the solution? If you do, and a speck of rubber gets on the tip of the vulcanising solution tube and you replace the screwtop, the chemical process starts and the whole tube will solidify.

Top Bottom