Getting back into it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2sheds

Regular
After 35 yrs of smoking and 20 yrs of beer, I now have given it all up. As a means of motivation, I bought a Dawes Fox from Facebook marketplace for 33 squid. It now has new wheels from Baldwin Cycles, new cables and brake blocks, new pedals and toe clips.
I did my first long way round the block this morning (1.55 miles),
I fear that I have built myself a medieval torture device !!
Anyone else?

Bonus

Veteran
Keep at it - it doesn't get any easier but you can feel superior to your still drinking/smoking friends :-)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No reason for it to be torture, hopefully the bike is the right size and fits you ok? Did the bike shop give any advice about the size of the bike?

I googled Dawes Fox and it seems to be a model from the 70s & 80s so might be a bit of a shock when compared to a bike with more modern brakes and gears. Having said that, if all set up correctly should be perfectly useable and certainly not an implement of torture!

Start off with short 1-2 mile rides for a few weeks, just get out every 2-3 days and get used to being on the bike. How have you adjusted the saddle? Is it at the right height? Many beginners make the mistake of setting the saddle height so they can put their feet on the floor when on the saddle. This is far too low and a terrible position when actually riding. As a starting point, saddle should be set so your leg that is extended to the bottom of the pedal stroke is slightly bent at the knee, almost straight but not quite.

Saddles can also make a huge difference, but that is a whole subject on its own. Make sure the saddle is close to level (you can experiment to find what suits you) but any obvious pointing up or down is probably wrong. Also, if the saddle is original, or something cheap and tatty that is decades old then it is probably best replacing with something more recent to at least have half a chance of getting comfortable. Avoid anything that is super wide and soft! It may sound counterintuitive but something narrower and firmer is nearly always far better once you start riding more.

Most of all, welcome to the madness that is cycling and enjoy yourself. You will be elated when you ride your 1st 10 miler, 20 miler, 50 miler, 100 miler :eek: Anything is possible, have fun....

Slick

Guru
The old adage of, it doesn't get easier, you just get faster could be true if you want it to be, but if you prefer it will get lots easier over a surprisingly short space of time. I had a similar journey to yourself with smoking and drinking before getting back on the bike to try and undo some of the damage and I still remember my first ride out and being too frightened to go down the gentlest of slopes for fear of not being able to get back up. It always brought a smile to my face as I cruised by the same spot on my normal morning commute. Give yourself a break and keep going with the new regime. You will notice huge improvements soon enough. :thumbsup:

Slick

Guru
Oh, and by the way, this subsection is for stolen bikes only. Maybe the @Moderators will move it for you.

Mod note:

Shifted to General Cycling Discussions

Last edited by a moderator:

tom73

Guru
Build slow and steady it will get easier. The miles will come they have a habit of creaping up on you.
Just ride and see what happens get to know the bike and how it feels.
@I like Skol says check your bike for size get your bike set up right and the fun will keep coming.

OP
OP

2sheds

Regular
No reason for it to be torture, hopefully the bike is the right size and fits you ok? Did the bike shop give any advice about the size of the bike?

I googled Dawes Fox and it seems to be a model from the 70s & 80s so might be a bit of a shock when compared to a bike with more modern brakes and gears. Having said that, if all set up correctly should be perfectly useable and certainly not an implement of torture!

Start off with short 1-2 mile rides for a few weeks, just get out every 2-3 days and get used to being on the bike. How have you adjusted the saddle? Is it at the right height? Many beginners make the mistake of setting the saddle height so they can put their feet on the floor when on the saddle. This is far too low and a terrible position when actually riding. As a starting point, saddle should be set so your leg that is extended to the bottom of the pedal stroke is slightly bent at the knee, almost straight but not quite.

Saddles can also make a huge difference, but that is a whole subject on its own. Make sure the saddle is close to level (you can experiment to find what suits you) but any obvious pointing up or down is probably wrong. Also, if the saddle is original, or something cheap and tatty that is decades old then it is probably best replacing with something more recent to at least have half a chance of getting comfortable. Avoid anything that is super wide and soft! It may sound counterintuitive but something narrower and firmer is nearly always far better once you start riding more.

Most of all, welcome to the madness that is cycling and enjoy yourself. You will be elated when you ride your 1st 10 miler, 20 miler, 50 miler, 100 miler :eek: Anything is possible, have fun....
Cheers for the info, I am no beginner, used to do 400 miles a week, ( back and forwards to work), evening and weekend rides, so it is purely a case of reconditioning the muscles, all is set up and correctly

OP
OP

2sheds

Regular
Cheers for the info, I am no beginner, used to do 400 miles a week, ( back and forwards to work), evening and weekend rides, so it is purely a case of reconditioning the muscles, all is set up and correctly
I don't get on with modern designs of bikes, prefer the design I have now, so used to it it feels like a favourite pair of slippers

Well done. Keep persevering. Don't expect to go faster or further each time. If you find a route or a distance (however short) that challenges you, keep to that until until it's no longer challenging. Then you can up the distance to a new target distance. You can also play about with speed as you become more comfortable with the the distances you are doing.
Early days can be torture but you almost certainly will feel the benefits eventually.

OP
OP

2sheds

Regular
Well, my quads are screaming at me, to be expected. The next goal, distances aside, is to get off the bike and not have the tops of my legs feel like someone else's......

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, my quads are screaming at me, to be expected. The next goal, distances aside, is to get off the bike and not have the tops of my legs feel like someone else's......
Sounds like your saddle might be a bit low or you’re using the wrong gear up hill

Give your legs a good stretch after a warm bath (not just quads though)

Top Bottom