Getting Back on the Bike After an Operation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barongreenback

Über Member
Good luck with the histology. Chemo was another reason for me not getting on the bike in 2015 - I had 6 months of 5FU, which left my energy levels down although I continued to walk regularly and I worked through my chemo too. I put on weight during chemo due to the steroids and only feeling like eating crap - ready salted crisps were one of the things that didn't make me feel more sick during chemo.

These days my main issue is the occasional urgent toilet trip (with apologies for TMI) - I live in fear of having to do a Paula behind a well placed hedge!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I live in fear of having to do a Paula behind a well placed hedge!
If Paula had found a well-placed hedge then we wouldn't be talking about 'doing a Paula'! :laugh:

midlife

Guru
Hope it all goes well. Is your dietician clued in with what you want to do? Might want to have a chat about how much "fuel" you need to rebuild yourself.

Shaun

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Ian, the key to all this is time, rest and sleep. And patience! I suffered a horrendous injury last April and lost so much strength and muscle mass (atrophy). 55 at the time, but overnight I experienced what is must be like to be elderly and frail.

Do what you can when you can, push yourself if you're able, but learn when to back off and don't be hard on yourself when you fail miserably to do the things you considered to be second nature before. Very slowly things will improve.

Best wishes and keep on troshing!

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Status update. Just about to start 3/8 chemo cycle. This consists of infusion on day one, with two weeks of 5FU pills and then a week off. So far chemo side effects haven't been too bad. In the first week I have tingling and cold sensitivity in fingers and feel sick, although I haven't actually been sick. The first anti-sickness drug gave me the trots, so stopped taking it after two days. The second one has a "No driving and no booze" warning, so I haven't actually taken any of it!

By week two symptoms subside quite a bit and in week three I feel normal. Have managed to get back on the bike and can now comfortably do my 30 mile loop, with the occasional longer ride, if I feel up to it. The symptoms are supposed to be cumulative, but I am hoping that they won't get too bad.

Top Bottom