Getting back on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Go to a bike store that does a bike fit before u buy - that way you will get the right size frame for you

vickster

Legendary Member
This is clearly over your budget and more bike that you 'want' but should stave off the upgradeitis for a while if it works for you

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/for-sale-2018-giant-tcr-advanced-1.229770/#post-5128576

I always say buy a cheap first bike - ride it - you then get a feel for what you want from a bike and can splash the cash then. Think decathlon do an entry level for £250-£350 more than good enough to get started - sell it for only a little less in 12 months time.
The bike mentioned are much of muchness - none will make you a great or poor cyclist, that comes from how much time and effort you want to put in- I really wouldn't spend hours agonising over boardman v giant etc....

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I always say buy a cheap first bike - ride it - you then get a feel for what you want from a bike and can splash the cash then. Think decathlon do an entry level for £250-£350 more than good enough to get started - sell it for only a little less in 12 months time.
The bike mentioned are much of muchness - none will make you a great or poor cyclist, that comes from how much time and effort you want to put in- I really wouldn't spend hours agonising over boardman v giant etc....

Well said it's a shame more people dont think the same

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've had several Boardman bikes, including a previous generation Road Comp, and can vouch for how good they are.
However, I've just bought a Giant Contend SL1 Disc which has blown me away though - really impressed with build, spec and the ride. I'd definitely recommend the brand and Cycle Surgery have some great deals on 2017 models.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m the same height as you @Ascent and I like a 60cm frame or Large. I shouldn’t fuss too much about brands or grupset hierarchy. Decathlon do some blinding bikes and are great vfm. This fits your budget and got best bike under £1k recommendation from roadcc last year plus other accolades : https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-grey-black-105-id_8377756.html You can go for a big name brand but you won’t get such a good deal.

View: https://youtu.be/IrS7aSPMRM8

Just get what you like the look of and feel comfortable on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ascent

Thanks for all the replies.

The giant frame I liked was 58cm, I think any bigger would be too much.

I'm not looking for something to make me a great rider just something that will keep cycling fun, something that is good value for money and something that will likely last a good few years.

I liked my hybrid but because I know I only cycle on roads it makes sense to get a road bike, especially as I want to do quite long rides.

That Triban 540 is looking favourite just now, hopefully be able to get a feel for one at the weekend or maybe midweek.

OP
OP
A

Ascent

Looks like it's going to be the Triban 540. Had a look at it today and it just felt comfy and good when I sat on it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like it's going to be the Triban 540. Had a look at it today and it just felt comfy and good when I sat on it.
When you consider it’s got 105 and Axiom wheels pretty much unbeatable at the price. Plus you’ve got the reassurance that it’s back by a world brand. What size did you settle on?
I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Let us know.

OP
OP
A

Ascent

Well I finally picked up my bike today, it was the Triban 540. Not had much of a chance to ride it properly yet, just from the shop to the car, about four miles and the only way I can think to describe it is smooth.

Not smooth as in a lack of bumps from the road, just the sensation of riding it, the pedaling, sitting on it, it just feels smooth, like you're gliding along hardly needing to put effort into pedaling.

I'm looking forward to getting out on it properly on Monday.

Top Bottom