Getting back on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ascent

I'm looking at getting back on the road after a years enforced break and am looking to get a new bike.

I've been riding a hybrid for the past 15 years or so but want to move onto a proper road bike.

I've made a short list and would like people's opinions on them and maybe suggestions that are similar to those I've looked at.

The bikes are the Pinnacle Laterite 3, the Giant Contend 2 and the Boardman Road Comp.

I had initially written off Halfords but I get the impression that the Boardman bikes are quite good but that Halfords service can be variable.

Are these good starter bikes? I'm more interested in endurance than outright speed.
Thoughts? Opinions?

All input gratefully received.

andygo

Hi
I've never tried any of the bikes you've listed....but I was in a similar position a few years ago so can offer some advice based on that.....

Personally I'd try as many as you can before spending any money.... and find one that feels comfortable.
If you don't enjoy riding it then you probably won't...

For my first bike (after years on mountain bikes) I bought a cheap Halford's racer 2nd hand (Virtuoso) which was recommended on a few forums....I used it for a year or so but was never very happy on it.

Some of the problems.....
* It was aluminium with a steel fork and narrow (25mm) tyres so a v bumpy ride...
* The position was uncomfortable (handlebars felt v low - I ended buying a stem riser to raise the handlebars)
* No room to fit proper mudguards (I use it to commute)
* Came with racing gears (52/42 - 11/25) which was useless for my commute home up a v steep hill.
* Brakes weren't great..

I was actually glad when I crashed it and had an excuse to buy something else.

I've now got a Genesis Croix de Fer which I'm v happy with and would recommend - but it may not tick your boxes..
Reasons I like the Croix de Fer
* Steel frame so more comfortable than aluminium
* Disk brakes which actually work
* Room for comfy 35mm tyres and mudguards
* I built my own bike so was able to put on lighter wheels, a Brookes saddle and triple chainring (with 11/32 cassette).

For me it's the perfect bike, v comfortable, reasonably light, great for the commute and running around towpaths with my son, though I have no problems keeping up on club runs...

So basically, make a list of what you want from a bike Hope that helps..
Andy

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Ascent where are you based in the uk ? As there maybe a fellow cc'er who live's round the corner who owns 1 of those

If you have narrowed it down to those 3 bikes then go and visit your local dealers and try them all , don't worry about Halfords reputation that much as you must have a local bike shop you can use ?

@andygo 's suggestion of the Genesis is a great bike as are many other similar bikes so loads to choose from

alicat

Legendary Member
You've narrowed it down to three, all of which are big brands. Go try them and if you don't like any of them try another bike in the range.

You haven't included any Decathlon bikes. If you have a branch near you, they are very good value for money and have a good reputation.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the budget? What size bike do you need? Are you wanting to buy only in store orvwoukd you consider online? Do you have any specific gearing needs, colour preferences (or dislikes etc)

In terms of the Giant, if you happen to need an ML, last year's 1 is better specced than the 2

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/giant-contend-1-2017-Q2114313.html?colour=3618

Pinnacle easy to test ride if Evans close

Halfords don't do testrides but Cycle Republic do if you have one closeby

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ascent

Thanks for the replys.

I'm looking for a proper road bike, although I did a little light offroad when I first got my hybrid I've found that everything I've done in the last ten years at least is on road.

I've test ridden the Pinnacle and sat on the giant. The giant felt more comfortable but it had a bigger frame so a change to a larger frame on the Pinnacle might make it better.

I live in Cambridgeshire so looks like no decathlon dealers near me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replys.

I'm looking for a proper road bike, although I did a little light offroad when I first got my hybrid I've found that everything I've done in the last ten years at least is on road.

I've test ridden the Pinnacle and sat on the giant. The giant felt more comfortable but it had a bigger frame so a change to a larger frame on the Pinnacle might make it better.

There's a Decathlon in Cambridge!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/en/stores/sport-store-decathlon-cambridge-MS_0070138101381.html

Also in Stevenage, Harlow, Chelmsford (if any of those any good)

Ask Evans to get the bigger frame in for you - £60 refundable deposit for them to bring in any bike they have in stock...although frame size doesn't necessarily determine comfort - can you compare the geometries of the two?

You could also try something like this from Evans (assuming you're an 'average' size)

https://www.evanscycles.com/focus-cayo-al-sora-2017-road-bike-EV308650

Last edited:
+1 for Decathlon

But personally getting out there is more important than the differences in bikes - so less time pondering more time riding and before long you will be back on here pondering Pinarello v Colnago

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 for Decathlon

But personally getting out there is more important than the differences in bikes - so less time pondering more time riding and before long you will be back on here pondering Pinarello v Colnago
Or even better Enigma versus Van Nic ;) Or Seven vs. Moots :ohmy:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for the replys.

Go and see what Rutland Cycles have on offer as they offer a good choice of makes

But yes go and visit Decathlon

does it have to be new ?

OP
OP
A

Ascent

This gets better.

My budget is around £700 top end and I'd prefer new. I'm 6'1" so am looking at a large or XL frame.

I found that my stomach felt a little squashed by my thighs on the Pinnacle which was a large frame. It felt similar on the first giant I sat on but the dealer had a bigger frame that I tried and that felt much better.

The trouble with working out what feels right is that the riding position is quite different from the hybrid I'm used to so it all feels a little odd.

I'm trying to get a feel for what brands are good quality and what kind of equipment fit out is good as I'm coming into this fairly uninformed.

My Google Fu is obviously weak with the decathlon store. I'll have to see if I can get into Cambridge this weekend, see how they feel. Wish I'd known last weekend as I popped into the Cambridge Evans.

vickster

Legendary Member
At £700 I’d be looking for an older model with Tiagra or even 105. Not a new model with Claris

Does your £700 also need to buy pedals and shoes if planning on clipless?

OP
OP
A

Ascent

No, I have shoes and clip in pedals. A little old but still good condition.

The Pinnacle has a 105, the giant is Claris don't know about the Boardman. The Triban at decathlon looks good, that's a 105.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I found that my stomach felt a little squashed by my thighs on the Pinnacle which was a large frame. It felt similar on the first giant I sat on but the dealer had a bigger frame that I tried and that felt much better.

The trouble with working out what feels right is that the riding position is quite different from the hybrid I'm used to so it all feels a little odd.

@Ascent you are more than welcome to come across the border and have a decent ride on this Scott S50 Speedster 61cm Road bike to give you a better feel of what to expect from riding a modern style road bike

Top Bottom