Getting back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
Hello Everyone!
I'm starting my LEJOG on August 6th but I'm not sure when I'll be finishing could be 12 days or maybe 14, what do you do about the train journey home? I will be returning to London, using the National Rail or Scotrail websites the fare comes out at £140ish whether i was making the trip now or around August 18th. Am I too late book for advance discounts? Has anyone just turned up at Wick with their bike and got the train back or must you book in advance?
Cheers Steve.

Rebel Ian

Not being funny but if I was starting in 3 weeks time I think I'd have checked out how to get home before now!

Christkd

You are leaving it a bit late!

The train journey back to London is around 14 hours, not nice when you've spent the last 12 - 14 days sitting on a razor blade!!!!!

I did LEJOG in April but flew back from Wick to Southampton it was cheaper than the train (2 and a half hours flight time!) but we did book well in advance! Worth a look though.
I posted a thread about a bike shop in Wick who will box your bike up and send it back to your home address, saves you having to worry about it on your trip home!

Get on it soon though otherwise you may have to cycle home!

snorri

Legendary Member
Has anyone just turned up at Wick with their bike and got the train back or must you book in advance?

It is not necessary to book rail travel in advance from Wick or Thurso, but can be a good idea if you need to travel on a specific date. If you arrive at JOG early, you could save yourself a few pounds by cycling on to Inverness where you could get a daytime train direct to London or the overnight sleeeper.
Booking in advance can add to, or reduce stress, depending on the type of person you are.:biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's not necessary to book the train but it's a bloody good idea to do so if only to get peace of mind.

The trains have limited capacity and once they have the full quota of bikes that's it - no amount of pleading will get your bike on the train. Scotrail employees care more about the bike ticket than your rail ticket so if you want a free journey get a bike reservation only :thumbsup:

For those of you that think I jest - I was unavoidable delayed at Edinburgh and was issued with replacement bike reservations for the following day but not a replacement rail ticket. I only had the bike reservation inspected between Inverness and Wick.

If you turn up and the trains for the day have all of their bike spaces booked that you are in for possibly a long wait.

Get onto the East Coast onloine booking system to see if there;s bike places available on your chosen dates and book them before they go.

Rebel Ian

If you arrive at JOG early, you could save yourself a few pounds by cycling on to Inverness where you could get a daytime train direct to London or the overnight sleeeper.

Inverness is over 120 miles from JoG! It took us 2 1/2 to drive it back to Inverness after we'd finished!

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions. Returning from Inverness makes it much cheaper. Just had a chat with a nice Indian lady and she has booked me a ticket from Inverness to Euston for £29. Just hope I can stick to the schedule and make the train!

Rebel Ian

Great price. Well done. Make sure your bike is booked also if you're taking it on the train.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have used different Scotrail services with my bike three times in the last week, I only had a bike reservation for one journey, the bike ticket was not inspected and mine was the only bike on the train. On the other two trips the question of a bike reservation simply did not arise.

Of course if you are travelling to a deadline, a reservation would be advisable.

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
Yes the bike is reserved, that's why I had to speak to the nice Indian Lady rather than book it online.
Can't wait for a real Cornish pastie now!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have used different Scotrail services with my bike three times in the last week, I only had a bike reservation for one journey, the bike ticket was not inspected and mine was the only bike on the train. On the other two trips the question of a bike reservation simply did not arise.

Of course if you are travelling to a deadline, a reservation would be advisable.

There's generally not an issue with Scotrail apart from the Inverness to Thurso/Wick service which has few daily trains with limited capacity for bikes.

When I did my LEJOG and JOGLE rides my bike reservations received very close inspections including the time that Scotrail contracted a transport company to ferry bikes between Inverness and Thurso/Wick.

The bikes arrived ahead of the train passengers!

Top Bottom